Sunday, August 2, 2009

“Protest Crackdown Draws Flak - malaysiakini” plus 19 more

“Protest Crackdown Draws Flak - malaysiakini” plus 19 more


Protest Crackdown Draws Flak - malaysiakini

Posted: 02 Aug 2009 06:17 AM PDT

The government faced criticism for arresting hundreds of people and using tear gas and water cannon to break up a protest against laws that allow for detention without trial.

More than 60 of the 589 people detained in yesterday's protest, which saw at least 15,000 people massing in chaotic scenes in downtown Kuala Lumpur, were still in custody today according to media reports and lawyers.

"I experienced first-hand the indiscriminate police use of tear gas and its corrosive effects," said DAP stalwart Lim Kit Siang who took part in the protest.

Lim accused Inspector-General of Police Musa Hassan of 'wreaking personal vengeance' against him and other Pakatan Rakyat leaders for the Parliamentary Roundtable last week calling for a new IGP to create a safe Malaysia.

Najib slammed

He also condemned Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak over the heavy-handed police response, which saw 5,000 officers including riot squad members play a cat-and-mouse game with protesters through city streets.

"Is this an indication that the Najib premiership is going to be the most draconian of all prime ministers since independence in 1957?" he asked.

Najib had criticised the protest plans, saying that he had already promised to review the controversial legislation after taking office in April.

Today, he defended the police action, saying they had a duty to preserve security.

"Street demonstrations should not continue and the authorities can take action," he was quoted as saying by the national news agency Bernama.

Home Minister Hishammuddin Hussein, who is charge of the police force, reportedly said the Internal Security Act (ISA) could be amended as soon as the next parliament session.

But the opposition and rights groups are calling for the colonial-era ISA - which has been used to detain government opponents as well as suspected terrorists - to be abolished.

Latifah Koya, a lawyer for the detained protestors, said that police were continuing to hold senior opposition lawmaker R Sivarasa, as well as the wife and son of an ISA detainee. Two other children were also in custody.

"We totally condemn the police action. People who merely wore T-shirts with an anti-ISA logo were also arrested. We demand their immediate release," she told AFP.

'People want change'

Rights campaigners also condemned the police response.

"Aliran is appalled at the determined effort by the police to crush the peaceful march," said P Ramakrishnan, president of Aliran.

"Thousands of concerned and caring Malaysians have undertaken this march out of a patriotic duty to highlight their revulsion for the ISA which has gained notoriety for the mindless use of this law by the Barisan Nasional."

Political analyst Khoo Kay Peng said that the results of 2008 elections, which saw a major swing away from the ruling Barisan Nasional coalition, showed Malaysians were demanding greater freedoms.

"The people want change. If the Barisan Nasional wants to remain in power they have to listen to the people who desire liberty and respect for individual rights," he said.

"They took to the streets because the government has not provided an alternate platform to engage the people," he said.

Khoo said the coalition, which has struggled to claw back support since the landmark 2008 polls, faced defeat at the next general elections if it failed to introduce democratic reforms.

PET+BLOGSPOT is the official online blog of the Malaysian Animal-Assisted Therapy for the Disabled and Elderly Association (Petpositive).

Our blog which was first established in October 2007 currently has more than 25,000 hits. Kindly take note that views expressed in this blog are not necessarily those of Petpositive.

You may also visit our Webpage by browsing: www.petpositive.com.my


Kimanis detention centre to open this month

Posted: 02 Aug 2009 04:58 AM PDT

A Federal-funded Temporary Detention Centre (TDC) in Kimanis near here, which has been completed, would be operational in two weeks to ease the congestion problem at the Menggatal one. Minister in the Prime Minister Department, Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz, said the sixth TDC is the biggest in Sabah that can accommodate up to almost 6,000 detained illegals.

"The RM14 million TDC in Kimanis has 17 blocks and each can occupy 350 detainees. Some 14 blocks will be housing the detainees and three transit blocks will be used for registration of the illegals into the centre."

"If necessary, the three transits blocks could also be utilised to house the detainees," he said, adding the new centre has 100 security officers and 10 administration officers. Nazri said this after inspecting the completed TDC facilities in its premises near Papar Drug Rehabilitation Centre, here, Saturday.

Also present were Nazri's deputy, Datuk VK Liew, Federal Task Force for Sabah and FT Labuan Director Misri Barham and new Chairman of Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board (CVLB) Edmund Chung Ket Wah.

Nazri said the construction of TDC Kimanis commenced on July 2008 and was completed, recently, on a 20-acre site and only 10 acres was used.

"I visited this project in May for the third time to look at its work progress and now the building of Kimanis TDC has been completed.

"This centre in Sabah together with other five centres in Sandakan, Tawau, Kota Belud and Menggatal can accommodate in total about 12,000 detainees," he said.

ON the integrated operation to arrest illegals in Sabah, Nazri said 21 such operations have been conducted from February last year up to July this year. For this year, 7,000 illegal immigrants have been deported and 19,000 illegals were repatriated last year compared to 18,000 in 2007.

Each day, he said, about 50 illegals on average would be detained and in a month, about 1,500 are apprehended. Nazri said the centre in Tawau was built with another four new blocks which now has 10 blocks to house the detainees and the TDC in Sibuga, Sandakan's six blocks would soon be completed.


Priority should be given to KDM parties: Kurup

Posted: 02 Aug 2009 04:57 AM PDT

The Kadazandusun-Murut (KDM) parties under Barisan Nasional (BN) should be given priority to contest in any new constituency that may be created in any of the existing KDM-dominated constituencies under the on-going Election Commission (EC) re-delineation exercise in Sabah.

Deputy Natural Resources and Environment Minister Tan Sri Joseph Kurup, who is also PBRS President, also hoped the KDM communities would remain united and give their full support to the KDM-based parties which have been fighting for their interests.

He claimed non-KDM-based parties in the BN had demanded representation in any new constituency that may be created in the Interior under the re-delineation exercise.

He described this as "not a good action by our colleagues and kind of an attempt to marginalise." Kurup, who is Pensiangan MP, was speaking at a leader-meet-the-people session at Kampung Merapok, here.

Assistant Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister and Sook Assemblyman Datuk Ellron Angin, PBRS Youth chief Vincent Lee and Sook PKR Charles Ikang were among those present.

Kurup said under the new electoral boundary plans, the Mukim Trans Pegalan in Sook state constituency is expected to be involved and may be named as a new constituency in the future. He advised the people to be careful about leaders who would only make use of them to chase for power but would not do anything to fight and protect their rights on certain matters.


Good, but it could be better.

Posted: 02 Aug 2009 04:51 AM PDT

Big Boss: I would say the operation yesterday was a success but there is plenty of room for improvement. You guys just missed it la. Like this how to get our KPI up?

Boss: But BB, I thought we did well, the demonstrators got nowhere near the Istana.

Big Boss: I did not not say you handled it poorly, all I wanted was that you did it better. You could have handled it better, that's all.

Boss: Please la BB, what else do you want from us?

Big Boss: Look at all these pictures. Tell me what's wrong with them. Tell me what is missing from them? Look closely.

Boss: Okay what BB, this one shows my men cuffing them. This one shows one being pinned to the road, this one shows them running helter-skelter, what else do you one?

Big Boss: Oh how I miss the last reformasi demo. Back them we beat them blue black la. There was blood la. Look at these, no blood la. What is this? No blood.

Boss: That is old style boss, this is new style. This is the 21st century.

Big Boss: Shit you, you are only brave when you had people in lock-ups. Piiirah you all. Like this means, the next time there is going to be a demo, they will ask the MACC to be on duty.


IT'S EASY TO LOSE CREDIBILITY

Posted: 02 Aug 2009 03:00 AM PDT

"Business is simple. Make some stuff and sell it for more than it cost you. There's nothing more to it than that except for a few million details."—president of International Harvester

I had to eat a little humble pie recently. And I want to share why, because I think it illustrates a critical lesson in how easy it can be for clients—or potential clients—to lose confidence in you.

We had asked our readers to complete a short survey to obtain some feedback on the buying process for our new book, 101 Best Ways to Get Ahead from 101 of the World's Most Successful People.

To reward our respondents for their time, I offered them a free copy of a report that sells for $3.95. We had a great response and a number of people said they really appreciated being given something for their feedback.

But one man pointed something out to me that caused me to wince. When we updated this report a while back, we increased the price from $2.95 to $3.95. I stated in my offer what it sold for by saying, " . . . if you used only a third of the advice in it, it would be worth a hundred times the $3.95." I believe that statement to be true or I wouldn't have said it.

But as it turns out—and as this gentleman politely pointed out—we'd neglected to change the price on the product itself. All references to 101 Best Ways to Save Time were for $3.95, but the cover price on the report itself still said $2.95. When this respondent saw this, he told me our credibility had been diminished.

And he was right.

It doesn't matter that it was unintentional. It doesn't matter that he didn't even pay $3.95. What matters is the perception people have.

It takes a long time to build credibility—and so little to degrade or destroy it. It takes only one tiny inconsistency or inaccuracy for people to question everything else you say and do.

We've been in business for almost ten years. We've worked hard to provide services and sell products that deliver what we promise—usually more. We fully and unconditionally guarantee everything we sell. We bend over backward to please our customers, clients and members.

People trust us. We've built a solid reputation, and we're very well respected.

But one can never rest on one's laurels. We have to be diligent and always remember how easily it can be lost—how one transgression will overshadow dozens of good experiences.

I feel fortunate to do business with people I trust and who trust me. What I have to remind myself is that not everyone operates this way and many of you have been burned by less-than-scrupulous transactions.

My learning was a reminder of how fragile trust is. My learning was that I can never take it for granted, and I must be extraordinarily attentive to every detail and how it will be perceived.

Examine carefully your policies, your practices, your communications—everything you do, and don't do, for inaccuracies, exaggerations and misleading statements.

Guard your reputation and your credibility like it was the most important thing you have. Because it may very well be.

Author's Bio
Michael Angier is founder and CIO (Chief Inspiration Officer) of SuccessNet--a support network helping people and businesses grow and prosper since 1995. Get their free Resource Book ($27 value) of products, services and tools for running your business more effectively. And most of the over 150 resources are FREE to access and use.


http://SuccessNetResources.com


Tear gas war

Posted: 02 Aug 2009 12:57 AM PDT

The "target" : harmless and armless ordinary Malaysians.

Tear Gas War
Picture adapted from MalaysiaKini: 20,000 rally in city centre, tear gas fired

TechTags Plugin [ | | | | ]


I am prohibited from earning a scholarship by academic merit

Posted: 02 Aug 2009 03:58 AM PDT

In a file on the bookshelf are numerous certified copies of my official transcripts prepared middle of last year. I wanted to study in the peaceful environment of Fayette, Iowa, where UIU's main campus was located and prepared these documents for scholarship applications. Some lecturers even wrote reference letters in support of me. During the application process, I communicated with Brian More, the admissions officer in Fayette.

But my head hurt at the end of July. We did an MRI with results that warranted surgical intervention. A radiologist at Assunta Hospital reported indications of oedema where tumors were. I took this to mean that the tumors swelled. Hence, I knew at once that I had to take drastic measures in order to reduce my stress levels and excused myself from all classes at Segi College that semester. When I returned from surgery later, I signed up for only one subject fearing history would repeat itself.

This is one of stresses in my daily life that I have to face and try to control.

To compile my scholarship applications, mom and I visited my secondary school to collect some required documents, translate and get them certified by the Head Teacher of the morning session named Pn. Neoh who also happened to be Karen Siah's mother.

We also went to Life College for more documents. I was very determined because of the overwhelming stress.

I did not write about this and few people knew what I went through. So it is not surprising that my appeal for scholarship now seems out of the blue.

But in truth, I've been hoping to study directly with UIU for the longest time. Even though more obstacles surfaced, I chose the route that would avoid these obstacles. That route is through independent and online study with the same university.

What obstacles? Before we can apply for scholarships to study in the U.S.,we must first apply for admission to the university. In my case, I had to apply for admission to the Upper Iowa University residential campus in Fayette and prove that I had financial support. Without proof of financial support, I could not get myself an offer letter. This was to satisfy the U.S. Immigrations requirement.

Obviously, I don't have the money to prove so I couldn't apply for admission to the residential campus. Without a letter and offer of admission, I could not apply for scholarships to study in Fayette.

Even so, I badly wanted to study directly with UIU. The other option was to study through their online or independent study program. Later, Dr. Dewayne Frazier – the Vice President for International Students - wrote to show his concern over the surgery I was about to undergo. I took this opportunity to mention that I wanted to study through their extended university program. Dr. Frazier offered me a reduced price so that I could try it out and start with a course of my choice. I picked Intro to Human Services as you now know.

I have tried to apply for scholarships on the basis of academic merit, I really have. In fact, I transferred all of the credits I had earned at Segi College by Summer of 2008. After transferring, my CGPA was enough to qualify myself for scholarship. But this scholarship is meant for students to study at the residential campus. And like I said, I could not even apply for scholarships, unless I have the financial means to apply for admission.

Isn't it an irony? People say that scholarships should be given to deserving students with superior academic achievements. But in practice, poverty deprives us of scholarships even with qualifying exam results.

Therefore, my only hope to receive scholarships is in the form of gifts.

I have 17 more courses to take before graduating. Each course through the extended university program costs USD936.00. If you or someone, someplace you know can help, please email me at yvonnefmn@gmail.com


Video of Teoh Beng Hock Being Tortured?

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 10:47 PM PDT

"If Najib Tun Razak and the government is really sincere with his "1Malaysia, People First, Performance Now" motto,he should abolish the MACC and replace it with one appointed by the King and answerable only to Parliament.Presently,MACC is answerable only to the Prime Minister who can always use it against the opposition.

In fact, many countries have audio and visual recordings of all their interviews with the suspects or witness..

It is also worth considering making the pathology department an independent body so as to ensure a more credible investigation and solving of severe crimes involving death, especially those which happened to involved the law enforcement agencies.

I would also like to present to you here a short video clip sent to me by a reader of this blog which exposes the obnoxious treatment of a suspect in custody."

Above is the excerpt from advocateviews. Everyone please click on the link below to view the video of the possible caused of death of a man in MACC custody.


A Holy Invitation

Posted: 02 Aug 2009 12:54 AM PDT

I don't know how to begin because I was not sure whether I wanted to go at first. I wanted to visit a friend overseas and I was bummed that the plan didn't work out since I had been saving and planning for a whole year.
If I had stayed in KL, I would have gone to Sweden last spring, picnic at the park, photographed the Little Mermaid and castles in Denmark, thereafter walked down the aisle of the concentration camps in Krakow. Yes, I have this morbid fantasy of visiting the concentration camps in Poland.
But as the cliche goes, God has better plans. I don't know what this sinner is in His eyes. I have in so many occasions broken my promises and turned my back on Him. I am not talking about praying and fasting here. I have sinned inwardly and outwardly. Done things which I am not proud of. I question things and I think differently. The mass Muslim population especially in this country may think that I am not very Islamic. Can't blame anyone because sometimes I myself think that I am not very Islamic.
So here I am, a sinner who questions, a disloyal person who breaks promises to her God (the disloyal part is worse I think because I think God likes the way I think :-P) with confidence issues. I suppose while I was swimming in the sea of sins, I must have done something right that God felt that the time has come for me to go again, so He sent me the invitation even when I think that I don't deserve it.
I have grown since my first visit at 18. I am certainly not the same person anymore. I have forgotten how to read and spell in arabic, lessons learnt in religious school, I stammer while reciting the Quran and there were times where my faith was wobbly. Of course, there were things that have gotten better but at 30, I am a worse Muslim than the short curly haired and bespectacled 18 year old me. Thus, the timing could not be even more perfect. I feel very stressed. I had my fair share of weird incidents in Mecca the first time around although it wasn't that bad as compared to others, maybe. I blamed it on my big mouth actually. I'm not putting the experience on print, sorry because they were kinda funny. Hehehe.
I am accepting the invitation.
I shall go on 15th August until 24th. Yes, that means I will be celebrating the first and second day of Ramadan in Mecca. Ain't that grand?
Mecca is not like any other destination. It is not a holiday. It is a place of peace, I still remember the peace in my heart walking from Safa to Marwa, praying with my face on the ground and looking up with the Kaabah right in front me. The feeling is just indescribable because it is not something that I have experienced anywhere else.I remember the surreal feeling of seeing all the things that I have read since I learnt how to read became real things that I could see, touch, feel and even kissed. I want to feel this all over again.
So here I am, scared but excited. Scaredly excited or excitedly scared, whichever. I am going for Umrah.


THE OPERA HOUSE, PARIS

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 08:00 PM PDT

When I was in my twenties and early thirties, I used to travel abroad a lot, especially before I had my boys. Of all the places I visited, I love Paris, San Francisco, Salzburg, Bath,Barcelona, Lake District, Venice, and Lucerne (in order of preference). Despite having been to Paris twice, I never had the chance to go inside Le Opera. Imagine my delight when my dear friend Angela sent me a set of slides on The Paris Opera House.

According to Wikipedia:

The Palais Garnier, also known as the Opéra de Paris or Opéra Garnier, but more commonly as the Paris Opéra, is a 2,200-seat opera house on the Place de l'Opéra in Paris, France. A grand landmark designed by Charles Garnier in the Neo-Baroque style, it is regarded as one of the architectural masterpieces of its time.

The building is located in the 9th arrondissement of Paris and is served by the metro station Opéra.

Upon its inauguration in 1875, the opera house was officially named the Académie Nationale de Musique - Théâtre de l'Opéra. It retained this title until 1978 when it was re-named the Théâtre National de l'Opéra de Paris. After the opera company chose the Opéra Bastille as their principal theatre upon its completion in 1989, the theatre was re-named as the Palais Garnier, though its more official name, the Académie Nationale de Musique, is still sprawled above the columns of its front façade. In spite of the change of names and the Opera company's relocation to the Opéra Bastille, the Palais Garnier is still known by many people as the Paris Opéra, as have all of the many theatres which have served as the principal venues of the Parisian Opera and Ballet since its founding. For more please CLICK THIS LINK.

The Paris Opera House is one of the most beautiful buildings in the world. It contains levels beyond levels of cellars, fountains, chandeliers and even its own ghost! The history of this performance hall is dark and interesting, and spans from architecture to literature and music.

The cause for this new opera house actually stemmed from Napoleon III. When he was arriving to the premiere of a new singer with his wife, the royal procession was bombed by a group of dissenters. Over eighty people were killed, prompting Napoleon III to ask for an opera house with a covered side entrance where royalty could enter discreetly. When plans finally were made for the design of the opera house, over 200 entries were informally submitted, and 171 were chosen to be viewed. Charles Garnier received the commission after some deliberation. He was an unknown architect, but a stunning design and several court allies hand a hand in his success.

The House seats two thousand and has seventeen stories, taking up three acres of land. Seven of these are below the ground, and two contain pieces of the famous lake later depicted in Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera. Work on this structure began in 1861 and ended fifteen years later. It cost over forty-seven million francs, and gave its creators and workers a massive headache.

Part of the mystique of the opera house is the levels that it inhabits underground. There are chorus rooms, green rooms, ball rooms, set rooms, cellars for waste props, closets, dressing rooms, and many more kinds of rooms making up the building. The underground levels contains all sorts of gruesome objects from various operas that have been produced. Their gruesome effect sparked the idea behind Gaston Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera. The lake on the last floor was unintentionally sprung when a worker knocked against a pipe underground. It has been seen by a few select eyes alone, as normal tours only permit the top of the house to be seen.

The Phantom of the Opera, later turned into an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, was a book based upon the opera house. It portrays a young singer, Christine, and the Phantom who falls in love with her, Erik. Other characters include Meg, a young dancer, and Raoul, the lover that eventually wins Christine's heart. In true Parisian tradition, Leroux's tale decrees that the Phantom is a mysterious force underground, and was once a circus exhibit that went wrong. In the book, and also the show, all levels of the opera house are used, from the lowest cellar to the roof. The Phantom kills, maims and scares members of the cast, who in turn chase him down and drive him from the theater. In the original story, the Phantom commits suicide by drowning himself because he cannot win Christine's love.


Please CLICK THIS LINK to view the slide presentation of The Opera House in Paris. Thanks and have a nice day!


LEADERS INVEST IN GROWING & DEVELOPING PEOPLE

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 03:00 PM PDT

"A true Master is not the one with the most students, but one who creates the most Masters. A true leader is not the one with the most followers, but one who creates the most leaders." — Neale Donald Walsch

Successful leaders understand the difference between things and people in an organization. They know that it's important to manage things, but that it's even more important to lead people. Leaders don't just mouth empty phrases like "people are our greatest resource;" they demonstrate by their actions that people – not strategy, products, plans, processes, or systems – are the most critical factor in an organization's performance. That's why leaders invest heavily in growing and developing people, while managers see people as objects to be commanded and controlled.

In his Fortune article "A New Way to Think about Employees," Thomas Stewart writes, "We should not confuse human beings with human capital at all. Surely people are not assets in the same way that their desks and chairs are assets, or that factories or bank balances are." Phrases like "head count" dehumanize and objectify people. We could really push this further and make the same argument for "human resources." Most of us want to be treated as a person, not a resource. Indeed, some companies now refer to this department in their organizations as People rather than Human Resources. Most of us want to be treated as a person, not a resource.

Managers who view "their people" as property, are cold and dispassionate. In fact, they would make perfect donors for heart transplants – their hearts have had such little use!

It's heartless to view people as less than human. Maybe it's just because I was raised on a farm, but whenever I hear managers use the term "head count" (and I hear it a lot), it grates on me like fingernails scratching a blackboard. When managers say things like "We've got to reduce our head count,", or "What's the head count in your division?" I immediately think of cattle. In the community where I grew up, farmers would ask each other questions like "how many head are you milking?" when talking about cows in a dairy herd. People were never referred to this way.

Of course, some managers will argue that "head count" is just an expression – "mere words," they'll say. Sometimes that's true. But in my experience, these "mere words" often convey a deeper set of values about how people are viewed and treated in an organization. Despite all their pious declarations about the importance of people, leadership, and values, far too many managers treat people in their organizations with about as much care as they would attach to an inventory of office equipment. They are just one more set of assets to be managed. These just happen to be breathing and have skin wrapped around them.

Author's Bio
Jim Clemmer's practical leadership books, keynote presentations, workshops, and team retreats have helped hundreds of thousands of people worldwide improve personal, team, and organizational leadership. Visit his web site, http://jimclemmer.com/, for a huge selection of free practical resources including nearly 300 articles, dozens of video clips, team assessments, leadership newsletter, Improvement Points service, and popular leadership blog. Jim's five international bestselling books include The VIP Strategy, Firing on All Cylinders, Pathways to Performance, Growing the Distance, and The Leader's Digest. His latest book is Moose on the Table: A Novel Approach to Communications @ Work. www.jimclemmer.com


Telur Rangers!

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 04:00 PM PDT

If you havent heard yet, WWF-Malaysia is running a campaign called Egg=Life which is to get the support form the public so that that efforts can be made to put a stop to turtle egg consumption in Malaysia and hopefully improved laws to protect turtles that land in Malaysia! Its a 6 months campaign which [...]

Get your daily dose of Delirium via Reader or delivered via Email

Telur Rangers!


police again spent time, energy, money on peaceful protestors

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 11:42 AM PDT

… instead of on criminals. *sigh* what else is new.

the police were out in full force at yesterday's anti isa rally. so far i read in suaram's egroup, that 438 people had been arrested but i thought i read somewhere else about 600 had been arrested. gosh! 600! a record breaking arrests?

i'm happy to note that there were about 20,000 protesters. feel so proud of them, especially on reading that although being bombarded by water canon and tear gas, they still continue with their protests.

ISA_badgei'm angry to note that once again, the police had used excessive force and were brutal and violent. democracy is really dead when people can't even have a peaceful protest.

ok i don't want to say more as you will be able to read all about the protest and arrests in many online media and blogs. ohh… i gotta say this one thing though before i end…

ABOLISH ISA! ABOLISH BARISAN NASIONAL!

what made me say that was when i read that the 'stupid' minister saying as long as barisan nasional (BN) is around, ISA will never be abolish. so apa macam then? easy! let's abolish BN! come next election, let's all vote out BN! let it be really a be-end for them!!


SATURDAY REUNION WITH OLD BUDDIES

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 05:17 AM PDT

This afternoon, I had a lovely reunion with my former colleagues with whom I worked in an international school. It was Lee's turn to organize the lunch and it will be my turn in late October. My dear old friends will meet every three months to enjoy each other's company over a meal. Today, we had lunch at one of my favorite restaurants - Feng Wei @ Sri Bahari Road.

Of all the places I worked in, I enjoyed my time there because we were like a family. My nine-year stint there taught me many precious lessons and I left with wonderful memories and ties with so many, not just with the staff but also with the former students.

Lee ordered many dishes and had even brought fresh prawns to be cooked by the restaurant's chef. Amazingly, all had a ferocious appetite and not only did we finish ALL the food, we also ordered TWO desserts - peanut butter soup with Chinese pancake and also bean milk with gingko and Chinese pancake!!! Take a look at the delectable dishes....If ever you are up in Penang, do head in that direction. Have a lovely evening! For those who are recovering from the rally, God bless you all and take care!


















Standing: Woo Yee Saik, Khoo-Yeoh Gan Hong, Mr. Goon, Patrick Tan, Hwang Hong-Shi
Seated : Puan Sri Sue Dhanarajan, Ho Ai Wah, Jeanette, yours truly, Lee Laine, Mrs. L.K. Ong

Until we meet again in October!!!


Another Rally Against ISA in KL, Malaysia

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 11:15 AM PDT









What happened in KL today (01 Aug 2009) .... A rally against ISA participated by almost 20,000 Malaysian

Almost 600 arrested, including 44 juveniles

(http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/109730)
The world That I see


O Candles!!

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 04:40 PM PDT

I need to recharged myself mentally and physically soon. I feel so tired. Going up and down KL from Kuantan had also interuppted so many of my aerobics classes. I feel drained.

We arrived at around 7 pm just now. After dinnering at Homst, Seth, J and I went back to J's apartment. We took a lift from J because Dato' had a business appointment with a few good friends at the Curve..hish..tak habis2 dengan business meetings. Banyak projek2 masih dalam oil pipeline.
InsyaAllah kalau menjadi even half of them, we'll have an oilwell!! Macam the wealthy Arab oil sheikhs..I'll then be coated with diamonds and pearls!! How I'll glitter and shine..shine, shine..

Well then..I had lighted some candles in the bathroom. The light bulb has not been changed. J had been busy with her headaches and work. We tried to change it but the bulb cover was so tight! Payah nak pusing, sampai I nearly pulled down the ceiling board!

Dato' came back about 15mins later. Seth and I then went downstairs to help the boss carry our stuff. When we came back, J was commenting of a 'kemian' smell. I was a bit spooked at first. Then I remembered the candles!!

Fire!! Part of the plastic surrounding the portable bathroom mirror was burning furiously!! There was already a lot of soot in the bathroom. J was already screaming! And Dato' was unaware of the ruckus. He was already checking on his blog in the bedroom! Tahulah..kalau dah berdepan dengan his laptop, bom jatuh pun dia duduk depan komputer! Punyalah cool mccool! hahaha

I took a few scoops of water and doused the angry flame! Oohh..jadi firewoman sekejap tadi. Luckily, I didn't burn the bathroom and the whole condo building!

So folks, no candlelight dinners and no candlelight baths at our age..we might burn our eyebrows while bending our heads to eat our ikan parang or we might have to call the bomba brigade to give us that extra shower in our bathrooms.

As I washed my face, I stared at the sootish patch on the wall and at the ceiling. O what a night!


Doggy Tales

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 07:39 AM PDT

Having a dog around the house and looking after it as almost exactly like looking after another child! I've had Pebbles living with us for nearly two weeks now and it's made a lot of difference to our lives. Instead of having two hyper active boys to look after,we now also have to keep an eye out for Pebbles.

But the good thing is at least she's a really well behaved dog. Aside from tailing me or wifey all around the house, she doesn't misbehave (something I wish the boys would learn from her) and she doesn't even bark, aside from the occasional short bark at lizards or something that catches her eye. She's also the worlds biggest coward cos the slightest sudden sound or move will have her scurrying for cover ... LOL!

It's also an eye opener for us to be looking after a dog. Both wifey and me haven't really looked after a dog before, not this kind of house dog anyway. I had a dog or two during my childhood days, also a mongrel which really doesn't need any looking after so having Pebbles is a new experience for us.

She constantly shadows us around the house. And when we sit down for the evening to watch TV, there she'll be on the couch with us slowing working her between us trying to get her favourite tummy rub. And when we sit down to surf, there's she'll be at our feet or between our chairs and table sleeping away.

She really loves having the presence of someone around and we're both are so taken in with her that we tend to pamper her to the max and she loves it. You can see it by the wagging of her tail which I told Anny is on auto wag ... LOL!

The only saddening part for us is when we go out for dinner or shopping and have to leave her on her own. You can see the sadness in her eyes cos she knows we're going out without her. But the moment we get home, she'll be jumping for joy. It warms the soul :D

Besides the slight scare we had over here two days ago, she's been a pretty good doggy. She doesn't make a mess of the place. She has her own toilet spot and she'll always go there if she needs to do her business, big or small which is a good thing. The best part is she never makes a sound and will definitely never make a good guard dog ... LOL!

But she's an adorable creature that has me looking at her every ten minutes as I write this post (she's sleeping between wifey and me now) and it brings a smile to my face. She's actually pretty tired today from all the playing around she did but she won't really go to her sleeping spot under the bed and call it a night until wifey and me finish our surfing sessions. Once we're done and we head to bed, she'll sleepily amble along to her spot under our bed. She's a really loyal little dog and wants to always be as close to us as she possibly can.

Even our shopping routine has changed. Instead of just having to look for glass tile's we're now also hanging around the pet food section even more buying her all kinds of goodies and treats. I think the boys are going to be complaining that we show her too much attention one of these days ... LOL!

Gee, I've been talking about her so much that I think this blog is turning out to be a blog all about her. Like Bem said in my other blog, maybe I should change the name of my blog to Pebble's blog. Bem, you're a riot la buddy ... LOL! But then it's better I talk about her than be my usual self and complain and bitch about anything and everything right? LOL!

But before I really sign off, here's a picture taken of her sleeping by our feet in this little urmmm, bed made for her by wifey. Sorry about the bad image quality, taken with my cell phone. Isn't that a sight to melt the heart?

.


Pakis kill Christians

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 08:25 AM PDT

Christians chant slogans behind a banner reading, 'Provincial government immediately take steps to arrest the culprits,' during a rally to condemn the attacks on Christians by Sunni Muslims, in Lahore . -AP Photo

As for normal, the Paki police failed to protect them. In Pakistan do not expect justice for the minorities. The four women, a man and a child died as Muslim militants set fire to Christian houses in the town of Gojra, officials said. In the following report, in this Paki news they do not mention it, they want to paint over the picture, by just saying 6 Christians died-edit. ISLAMABAD: Days of rioting between Christians and Muslims in eastern Pakistan following allegations that a Quran was defiled escalated Saturday, leaving six Christians dead, including a child, authorities said. Members of a banned Muslim organization began torching Christian homes in the Punjabi city of Gora on Thursday after accusing them of desecrating pages from Islam's holy book, Federal Minister for Minorities Shahbaz Bhatti said.

'There is no truth in the allegation,' he told The Associated Press, adding that he had himself visited Gojra on Friday and asked police to provide protection to Christians who were facing threats. He accused the police of ignoring his instructions and said hundreds of radical Muslims on Saturday burned more Christians homes and killed six, including four women and a child. Television footage from the scene showed houses burning and streets strewn with debris and blackened furniture as mobs ran at each other. Local media also reported gunfights had broken out between Christian and Muslim communities and that rioters had blocked the local railway line.

Pakistan is predominantly a Sunni Muslim state where Christians are a tiny minority. Although the two sides generally live peacefully, since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in the US, pro-Taliban militants have periodically targeted churches and Christians, suspecting them of sympathizing with Washington. Bhatti said the attackers belonged to the banned Sipah-e-Sahaba group, which is accused of launching attacks against the security forces and carrying out bombs attacks at public places in the country in recent years.

Punjab law minister Rana Sanaullah said authorities had investigated the allegation of a Quran being defaced 'and our initial reports say that there has not been any incident of desecration.' Sanaullah said that although the situation had calmed down by Friday, 'some miscreants and extremists entered the city today and pushed people toward armed clashes.' Another minister, Dost Mohammad Khosa, said the issue of the alleged desecration had been settled.

'Today, somebody opened fire at a peaceful rally that was passing by a Christian neighborhood. That made things worse. We are sure some miscreant elements have tried to exploit the situation,' he said. Faislabad Commissioner Tahir Hussain told local television that representatives of the two communities were to meet later Saturday in an effort to calm the situation.

'Let's hope for the best. The emotions of the Muslims are very high,' he said. 'And the Christians again they have faced the wrath and they have faced the casualties, and their emotions are also very high.' -AP Dawn


Barack Obama courts human rights abusers in Taliban fight

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 07:38 AM PDT

In a repeat of the 19th Century "Great Game", when the Russians and British competed for relations with Muslim leaders on the outposts of their empires, Mr Obama's envoys are scuttling between the palaces of Central Asia's post-Soviet dictators. In the last three months, Mr Obama has cut deals with Presidents Islam Karimov of Uzbekistan and Kurmanbek Bakiyev of Kyrgyzstan. Mr Karimov has been accused by a former British ambassador of ordering two opponents boiled alive. One of Mr Bakiyev's critics was recently stabbed 26 times in the buttocks by unknown assailants.

US diplomats have also paid calls on Ashgabad, the capital of Turkmenistan, a country still reeling from the personality cult of "Turkmenbashi", as the late President Sapurmurat Niyazov styled himself during his eccentric 19-year rule. "The United States is fixated by Afghan issues and does not care if it supports dictators," Tashbulat Yuldashev, a former Uzbek government official turned dissident told The Telegraph.

He fled Uzbekistan last year under threat from gangs of heavies after criticising Mr Karimov, president since the fall of the Soviet Union eighteen years ago. Mr Obama has brought a new pragmatism to foreign policy, disappointing those who expected his liberal idealism to dominate all aspects of his administration. That pragmatism is now being employed on one of the great diplomatic battlegrounds of history: the Silk Road through Central Asia, for decades closed off as part of the Soviet Union but now once again open to the exchange of goods, people – and unrest.

In the Fergana Valley, which straddles Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan and is close to Afghanistan, Islamic militants have found ready recruiting grounds in the hundreds of thousands of migrant workers who have lost their jobs in the financial crisis. Nine jihadists were killed in gun-battles near the city of Osh, on the Kyrgyz side of the border in June alone, while Uzbek identity cards have been found on dead Taliban fighters in Pakistan. Such incidents have made security more of a priority for both countries and America. Four years ago Mr Bush decided he could no longer tolerate Mr Karimov's politics after troops opened fire on an uprising in the eastern city of Andijan with the loss of hundreds of lives.

In retaliation for American criticism, Mr Karimov closed down a US air base that had been established as Mr Bush took his "war on terror" to neighbouring Afghanistan. The British ambassador to Tashkent, Craig Murray, had also written a detailed attack on the US-Uzbek alliance, claiming that Mr Karimov had tortured and killed opponents. But after Mr Obama's first approaches this year, Mr Karimov authorised the use of a US base as part of supplying the new US surge of troops into Afghanistan. Mr Karimov's record has hardly changed however. Human Rights Watch says 6,000 people are currently incarcerated in Uzbekistan for "non-violent religious offences". Journalists and activists continue to be imprisoned.

Freedoms are deteriorating in Kyrgyzstan too. Four years ago it was the great hope of US policy after the "tulip revolution" which, strongly influenced by American-backed civil rights groups, threw out Askar Akayev, the Soviet-era leader, and replaced him with Mr Bakiyev, an opposition figurehead. Mr Bakiyev, however, turned on the Americans, expelling two US diplomats and repeatedly threatening to close down the United States's second Central Asian military base near Bishkek.

He also renewed the country's close ties to Russia. A journalist who in February attacked that policy as seeking "oxygen for a sinking submarine" was subsequently set upon by men with metal bars who broke his ribs, arms and a leg and stabbed him repeatedly in the buttocks. Another critic, Medet Sadyrkulov, a former head of Mr Bakiyev's administration, was found dead in his burned-out car in March. Despite this, Mr Obama has agreed to triple the fee the US government pays for the use of the air base to keep it open to $60 million, with another $120 million in aid.

A senior Obama administration official disagreed with the suggestion that democracy activists were being ignored. "We engage both government and non-governmental leaders in the region. We do not one at the expense of the other," he said, adding that William Burns, under secretary of state for political affairs, recently toured Central Asia and raised concerned about human rights and democracy with "every head of state he met". "There is the notion that engaging allows you to address these issues better than not engaging," said the official, adding that the US maintained support for pro-democracy projects in the region.

The region's diplomatic sands shift fast and no-one can predict how long the new alliances will last. But Mr Yuldashev, the dissident, said rulers like Mr Karimov were adept at playing "divide and rule" to make their own leadership seem indispensable. "Democracy in Uzbekistan has no financial support any more from the United States," he said. "It only cares about Afghanistan." The Telegraph


Mabuk, amuk & merajuk

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 09:33 AM PDT

Saya memang cukup minat dengan lagu-lagu M.Nasir. Bagi saya, melodi dan liriknya memang hebat. Tak tahu sebab apa, hari ini saya begitu asyik melayan album pertamanya selepas zaman Kembara berjudul "Solo", terutamanya lagu "Biarkan Luncai Terjun". Dari dalam tablet saya, hingga ke dalam kereta sampailah ke dalam PDA saya, berulang kali lagu ini diputarkan. Anak-anak pun sampai naik hairan, mana


No comments: