Monday, August 16, 2010

warning to perkasa: you’ll lose our votes

warning to perkasa: you’ll lose our votes


warning to perkasa: you’ll lose our votes

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 10:51 AM PDT

i just can't stand it anymore! they gave out warnings, so i too have to give out warning lah!

first perkasa pointed its gun at MCA and said, "if you continue to insult islam, you will LOSE OUT VOTES."

then, the gun found its aim at umno (najib), "if you do not address malay's economic woes, you will LOSE OUT VOTES." (or as malaysian insider puts in, "if you give in to MCA's demands, you will LOSE OUT VOTES.&#8221

how arrogant! does perkasa think only they will determine who win in the election? does perkasa speaks for ALL malays when the boss ibrahim said "the malays will reject umno outright, if they give in the MCA's demands"? does perkasa thinks that umno and MCA will cower in fear that if perkasa does not support them, they will lost in the election? oh wow! looks like perkasa thinks they are so high and mighty, only them will ensure victory for umno and MCA.

well sorry lah brothers and sisters of perkasa, methink by doing this, by this action and by many other actions done before (and i'm sure many actions that is going to be done/say),  my warning to you is that if you keep doing this, indeed, yes, BN will lose… lose big, even if all of you perkasa members voted for BN.  it is perkasa that will cause the downfall of BN in the coming election.

yes ibrahim ali, carry on with all your monkey  antics that touch on race and religion, and you risk losing our support and contributing to BN's downfall. don't say i didn't warn you eh.



Peter White - Deja Vu

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 10:17 AM PDT



visit me at scribd.com - rutz.zainal


This posting includes an audio/video/photo media file: Download Now

Talkin' Bout Love by Peter White

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 10:10 AM PDT


Give it a listen...


visit me at scribd.com - rutz.zainal


This posting includes an audio/video/photo media file: Download Now

Friends and Strangers

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 09:51 AM PDT

I collect watches and have my favourite haunts for me to look for watches to buy. I don't just buy new watches but also old, second hand watches. Why I buy them, well I am collector of sorts, and the same time what I had bought I had not sold any... I don't think I would want to sell any of them yet.

I had been doing this for a while and have a hefty collection, let's just say that I can put on a watch a day for the next few months.

That aside... I have this neighbour who has a peculiar habit whenever we meet or gather. His eyes would be on my wrist and on several occassions would insist on having a closer look of the watch I have on. And on several occassion he'd remarked that he would want to buy exactly what I have. To this very day he behaves the same way.

Now fast forward a bit... on many occassions he would insists on knowing where I bought my watches, well one place is e-bay, the other is at mudah.my, then of course there are several shops that I frequent too.

These shops that I frequent, the owners have become friends, as not only I bought from them, I sent some watches for servicing to them, and also on days that I am free I would just drop by and 'talk shop' with them, along the way we are friends rather than just customer-vendors.

It brings me a bit of benefit where I can get discounts on watches that other walk-in customers won't get... and this is where it gets interesting.

This neighbour of mine, upon knowing the shops that I go to, would go to them and along the way throw my name around and insisting or expecting to get the same discount that I enjoy.

Recently I happen to visit the shop and the taukey friend told me about it and I asked did my neighbour get the same discount? His response was, of course not, coz the neighbour was not a friend....

Speed of trust?



visit my scribd - rutz.zainal


Ramadhan

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 09:35 AM PDT

Tomorrow will be a week of fasting in the month of Ramadhan, you don't actually feel it unless you are counting the days.
For some people this is also the month to feast, and hence pig themselves out at breaking of fast buffets in hotels and restaurants and paying through their noses, costing more of what they would spend eating in a day with that one particular feast. Well who am I to say what they do are not correct, at the same time I have my own right to my own opinion don't I?

visit my scribd - rutz.zainal


A credit to Changi airport

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 08:02 AM PDT

The time was about 1.30pm today. I was at Changi Airport's Terminal One to catch my flight back to Penang. It has been donkey's years since I last stepped foot into here, so much so that I needed help from the Information Counter.

There were two ladies at the counter, seated maybe four feet apart. I went up to one of them to enquire about the ticketing counter for my flight. "Excuse me," I began but before I could continue further, both the ladies were already on their feet, looking brightly, smiling broadly and giving me their fullest undivided attention. I asked about my flight and had all my questions answered immediately. And never a moment did their beaming smiles leave their faces.

I was greatly impressed. Clearly, this is the BEST customer service that I've come across in a very long while. And take it from me: if I say that something is good, I really mean it.

Unfortunately in my haste to check in, I had failed to note the names of the two ladies. I can only hope that there is someone from Changi Airport reading this and taking note of my feedback. They are a great credit to Singapore! Others will do well to learn from them.
ca-pub-5430283382112812


CBT charge: Tourism DG Mirza, ex-Pempena execs - Rosli, Lim Khing Tai!

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 07:46 AM PDT

Tourism Ministry director-general Mirza Mohammad Taiyab was today charged at the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court for criminal breach of trust amounting to RM888,000.

Mirza, then Tourism Ministry subsidiary company Pempena Sdn Bhd director, was charged for approving payment to the account of LCL Interior Dubai on Feb 27, 2007, even though the conditions for the construction of Restaurant Malaysia Dubai in Dubai was not met.

Ahh....Finally, a CBT charge!

I only posted about Pempena once and almost got into trouble. ;) Read the posting here:



Love because of money or true love?

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 07:09 AM PDT

IT must be quite a challenge to work in a publication that covers the lifestyle of the rich and famous but publishers in the United States and the United Kingdom do it remarkably well.

It helps that the wealthy in the West are quite open about sharing parts of their personal life with the public, and this certainly makes the editor's job much easier.

The Financial Times' award-winning magazine, How To Spend It, which is distributed free once a month with the weekend edition, never seems to run out of personalities, features and ideas. Occasionally, it even has additional special issues that focus on anything from evening gowns to watches and wines to handbags.

But another title from FT is even more niche. It is targeted at the wealthiest 1% of the population, and only comes out four times a year. Appropriately enough, it is called FTWealth.

I was reading the latest summer edition and there were two news items and a feature article that caught my attention.

The first is about how the rich in the United Kingdom are not too happy with the tax system which basically takes away most of their income if they are in the 50% tax bracket. I suppose we Malaysians should be thankful that our top bracket is only 26%.

So what do these high-earners do? Apparently, an increasing number of them have decided that rather than pay the taxman, they can opt not to work at all.

Many individuals are taking sabbaticals this summer to spend time with their families and avoid slipping into the higher rate band. In my opinion, time spent with family is certainly worth a fortune.

Then there is the item about how China is on track to have a million millionaires, with a 6% rise in the number of Chinese passing that threshold in the past year.

According to the latest Hurun Wealth Report, which FTWealth quoted, there are now 875,000 millionaires in China with Beijing having the most, at 151,000, followed by Guangdong and Shanghai.

And what is interesting is that China's super-rich are also very young. The average age of the millionaires is only 39, far lower than those in other countries.

Then there is the feature entitled "Love and Money". Yes, it seems those who are too busy chasing after money just do not have the time to find true love.

Matchmaking companies catering for the super rich are booming in the United Kingdom. Wealthy singles pay them a hefty fee to seek out potential partners of equal affluence.

The report featured a number of successful cases but it also quoted a New York psychotherapist who warned that "money is a terrible criterion to use to search for a life partner. Simply put, money does not buy love."

There is no doubt that as a society develops, many dream of making as much money as they can in as short a time as possible, without counting the cost, among them broken relationships and poverty of character.

You may recall an online survey in March which revealed that 96% of Malaysian youth aspire to become millionaires and three-quarters of them believe that they can by age 35. They also indicated that this was the most important goal in their lives.

Dreamers are optimistic people. Money in itself is not an issue. But the love of money, as we know, is a root of all kinds of evil. Will such dreams turn into nightmares?

Source_Between the love of money and true love, which are you going to choose? By Soo Ewe Jin

Deputy executive editor Soo Ewe Jin is constantly reminded of how Mother Teresa started out as just one woman, with no money and no supplies, trying to help the millions of poor, starving, and dying that lived on the streets of India.



IMR coordinating bacteria surveillance for superbug

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 06:56 AM PDT

The Institute of Medical Research (IMR) is coordinating bacteria surveillance for the New Delhi Metallo-beta-lactamase (NDM-1) gene, which makes bacteria resistant to almost all antibiotics and thus turning them into "Superbugs".

Health Director-General Tan Sri Dr Mohd Ismail Merican said the surveillance is performed by a network of hospital-based microbiology laboratories.

"Altough NDM-1 resistance does not appear to be frequent in Malaysia at this moment, gene sequencing will be done to detect the NDM-1 gene in gut bacteria at the IMR in the near future," he said in a statement here today.

Currently, he said, E. coli (gut bacteria) and pneumonia bacteria resistance to carbapenems, a class of beta-lactam antibiotics with a broad spectrum of antibacterial activity in Malaysia was low, approximately only 0.2 per cent.

The NDM-1 gene first evolved in India but is now widespread in various parts of the Indian sub-continent. It has now been isolated in the United Kingdom and also reported in the United States, Canada, Sweden, Australia and the Netherlands.

Read more_IMR coordinating bacteria surveillance for superbug



Myanmar song: Yangon Vs Mandalay

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 06:37 AM PDT



Pakistani floods blamed on... India

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 06:23 AM PDT

(Pakistan) With vast tracks of the country under water, the Pakistani government has had no problem in begging to the whole world (something Pakistani Muslims are very skilled at) for more aid. Yet for all the help they have received, there are some in Pakistan (for that, read the vast majority) who attribute their current plight not to the heavens (Allah's will) but rather to their neighbour India.

Yes, according to the daily Nawa-i-Waqt, the floods are an invention of India, and that the aid that India is offering should be rejected. If that is so, why do they have no problem in receiving aid form the Christian West?

It seems that in Pakistan, beggars can be choosers. Maybe the Indian Juice did it, that would be more likely!!-edit. Hat tip: Eye On The World


Hamas nod for Ground Zero mosque - Terror group's leader: 'Have to build it'

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 06:12 AM PDT

By S.A. MILLER in Washington and TOM TOPOUSIS in New York

A leader of the Hamas terror group yesterday jumped into the emotional debate on the plan to construct a mosque near Ground Zero -- insisting Muslims "have to build" it there. "We have to build everywhere," said Mahmoud al-Zahar, a co-founder of Hamas and the organization's chief on the Gaza Strip. "In every area we have, [as] Muslim[s], we have to pray, and this mosque is the only site of prayer," he said on "Aaron Klein Investigative Radio" on WABC.

OBAMA CATCHES HOLY HELL

"We have to build the mosque, as you are allowed to build the church and Israelis are building their holy places." Hamas, he added, "is representing the vast majority of the Arabic and Islamic world -- especially the Islamic side."

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), who so far has not taken a position on the mosque, dismissed the the endorsement. "Hamas is a terrorist organization, and their views don't deserve any weight on anything," his spokesman said.

Zahar said Muslims around the world, including those who live in this country, are united in a common cause. "First of all, we have to address that we are different as people, as a nation, totally different," he said. "We already are living under the tradition of Islam. "Islam is controlling every source of our life as regard to marriage, divorce, our commercial relationships," Zahar said. "Even the Islamic people or the Muslims in your country, they are living now in the tradition of Islam. They are fasting; they are praying."

Politicians who previously had lots to say on the matter were not nearly as eager to discuss the latest development. Despite his outspoken opposition to the building of a mosque so close to Ground Zero, Rep. Peter King (R-LI) said only, "I don't respond to Hamas." Mayor Bloomberg, a strong supporter of the plan, declined comment through a spokesman. Feisal Abdul Rauf, the imam behind the proposed mosque, and two other leaders of the plan who previously had commented extensively, were silent yesterday.

They did not respond to The Post's phone calls or e-mails about the Hamas endorsement. Hamas first came up in the mosque debate earlier this summer when Abdul Rauf refused to describe the group as a terrorist organization -- despite the State Department listing that identifies it as such. Tom Brown, a chief opponent of the mosque, said: "This is what we've been saying . . . Imam Rauf is a radical Muslim who will not call Hamas a terror group."

A retired firefighter who was a first responder on 9/11, Brown lost 100 of his FDNY friends at the Twin Towers. "How much evidence do we need that this guy is a radical Muslim?" he asked. "If Rauf really were a bridge builder and an interfaith guy and all the things he professes to be, he wouldn't be doing this to people." Abdul Rauf raised eyebrows last week when he departed on a State Department-sponsored goodwill mission to the Middle East, despite concerns that the trip may be helping him with the mosque's $100 million fund-raising goal.

The Obama administration insisted the trip, reportedly with stops in Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain and Qatar, was strictly to improve understanding about Muslim communities in the United States. But a London-based Arabic-language newspaper that interviewed Abdul Rauf reported that he said he would also collect money from Muslim and Arab nations around the world -- raising the possibility that the American government is helping him build contacts in oil-rich states. New York Post


Green Door ...

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 06:00 AM PDT

We've finally got the office sorted out and things are getting back to normal. All the renovations are done and the rubbish has been cleared. The Online Schools printing project has been completed with the office looks spankingly clean but kinda bare, especially the reception area which we have no idea what to do with it. We're going to leave it bare until we can figure out just what to do with that space.

We don't have a receptionist so there really is no need for a reception table. Besides we don't get all that many walk in customers. Most of the customers we have are all long time ones and people we do business with on a regular basis so they pretty much make themselves at home whenever they come to the office.

We don't really mind cos most of our current clientele have been very supportive of us. My room is almost arranged properly and just need a few more stuff to make it look less bare. At the moment I don't have much of anything really personal save for a picture frame on the wall with pictures of wifey, the boys and Pebbles and a nice little Jade plant that was bought by wifey for me. 

The Jade plant seems to be a hit in the office with everyone coming into my room and asking me if it is a real plant or not. I don't blame them, it does look like a plastic plant. I actually love the football pot it came in, doesn't make it look too girly ... LOL! Wifey has been doing some research on the plant and telling me how to take care of it. She even insists I take a picture of it and email it to her every week to make sure it's still alive ... LOL!

My jade plant and part of my bare shelves ...

I'm still in the midst of buying stuff for my room so once I finally finish with everything I'll post a picture of my room and my lime green chair ... hehehe ... I'm trying to find as much green colored items for my room. I have my eye firmly fixed on this lime green table lamp I saw in Parkson yesterday and am going to go get it soon. It's on sale and pretty cheap at the moment. If anyone of you wants to donate to me anything in green, please feel free to do so ... LOL! I have no shame whatsoever!
.


Sibu Hit By Get-Rich-Quick Schemes

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 05:59 AM PDT






Ten years ago numerous Get-Rich-Quick schemes swept all over Malaysia. Sibu apparently was the hardest-hit town with countless of wealth-seekers being sweet-talked into investing in the pyramid schemes.

The hit started in 1999 and lasted for about two years. I encountered one scene when streams of keen investors queued up at five-foot-way with piles of hard cash waiting for their turns to dump in money to get the promised "easy, quick and high" returns. I was totally shocked by the euphoria of the crowd.

Quite a lot of people came up to me for advice, including some church leaders. I told them outright: Economically speaking, the schemes are not logical at all!

The pictures were taken during BCF 2010.


Obama Fumbles Mosque Question

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 05:51 AM PDT

'Let me be clear," Pres. Barack Obama said at Friday night's iftar dinner at the White House before making what nearly everyone took to be a deeply felt endorsement of the Ground Zero mosque. "Obama Strongly Backs Islam Center Near 9/11 Site," was the New York Times headline.

"As a citizen, and as president," Obama said, "I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country. That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances. This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakeable."

With the backlash already in full swing, President Obama "clarified" his remarks on Saturday, saying, "I was not commenting, and I will not comment, on the wisdom of making the decision to put a mosque there. I was commenting very specifically on the right people have that dates back to our founding."

If this was his meaning all along, he could have stipulated on Friday that he wasn't taking a position on "a community center on private property in Lower Manhattan" and saved the headline writers at the New York Times and every other newspaper in the country from being misled.

Obama's embarrassing backtracking highlights a more important lesson about the mosque controversy: It doesn't have anything to do with the free exercise of religion. As Obama spectacularly demonstrated over the last couple of days, you can be a stalwart friend of religious freedom and still not necessarily think the mosque project is a good idea. Indeed, no reasonable opponent of the project contests the right of Muslims to worship as they please in this country — the First Amendment religious rights of Muslims never have been in question, at all. The critics insist only that this particular location for a project led by these particular people — including an imam who cannot bring himself to condemn Hamas — is unseemly and ill-considered. That position in no way implies a disregard for the First Amendment.

No one can seriously doubt that the organizers of the mosque project would have a legal right — assuming the zoning and permitting were in order — to use their property to open a 9/11 museum from the perspective that the attacks were provoked by America's depredations against Islam. As the Constitution clearly says, "Congress shall make no law … abridging the freedom of speech." But surely even the Michael Bloombergs of the world would summon their moral disapproval of such a project, secure in the knowledge they hadn't violated the First Amendment by speaking out against it.

Once the obfuscations about the free exercise of religion are cleared away, the question at Grand Zero becomes whether the project is, in Obama's word, wise. Most Americans and most New Yorkers think not, for obvious reasons. It is a site that would have been in the shadow of the World Trade Center before it was knocked down by terrorists acting in the name of Islam. Anyone truly interested in fostering understanding between Islam and America would keep a respectful distance. We're constantly told by our self-appointed betters that America needs to demonstrate its tolerance to the world by happily swallowing the project. But America's tolerance is a matter of record. What a blessed relief it would be if these lectures were directed, at least occasionally, toward well-meaning Muslims, who should oppose what their co-religionists are doing at Ground Zero.

As for President Obama, what if he had said that he is in such sympathy with the feelings of his fellow Americans about Ground Zero that he respectfully urges the leaders of the mosque project to move it elsewhere, even though they, of course, have the legal right to build it in the current location? And what if he told our friends the Saudis that he will not appreciate it if they fund the mosque at Ground Zero? Alas, that'd take a different president, one who doesn't combine lawyerly hair-splitting with the irresistible impulse to talk down to the American public. Editors in the National Review


How stupid does Obama think we are? By Andy McCarthy

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 05:49 AM PDT

Pretty stupid.

Already getting trounced in the polls, Democrats are reeling over the President's decision to side with the Muslim Brotherhood over the American people by endorsing the Ground Zero mosque. So he's trying to close Pandora's Box.

Politico reports [and thanks to John Hinderaker at Powerline for pointing this out] that Obama is now seeking "to defuse the controversy" by explaining that he was merely talking about the mosque proponents' legal right to build at the World Trade Center site. "I was not commenting and I will not comment," he said, "on the wisdom of making the decision to put a mosque there" (emphasis added).

Good luck with that one. Compounding insult with cynicism and cowardice is probably not a winning strategy. National Review


IS MAS STILL EMAS?

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 05:25 AM PDT

The Malaysian Insider carried a report HERE about how our National carrier Malaysia Airlines (MAS) posted a net loss of RM535 million in the second quarter of this year despite a 26 per cent increase in revenue compared to the same period last year.



The report cited an 18 per cent increase in operating cost — both fuel and non-fuel — with derivative mark-to-market losses arising from fuel price volatility accounting for the bulk of it.

"Fuel prices and fuel costs [are] driving up many of the numbers," said MAS managing director and CEO Tengku Azmil Zahruddin.

Inquisitive me did a bit of surfing to see if other airlines in our region have been hit by this increase in 'fuel prices and fuel costs'.

A. Air Asia

TheStar reported HERE that AirAsia Bhd posted a 10.31% rise in net profit to RM224.11mil for the first quarter ended March 31 (Q1) compared with the same period a year ago on higher passenger volumes in Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.

Revenue increased 10.15% to RM878.04mil compared with the same period a year ago.

Passenger volume grew 17%, supported by average fares that were 13% lower at RM173 compared with RM198 while seat passenger load factor was 4% higher at 74%.


B. Singapore Airlines

BBC News reported HERE that Singapore Airlines (SIA) made a first-quarter profit of 253 million Singapore dollars ($184.7m; £119m) for the three months between April and June. The figure, which was above expectations, compares with a loss of S$307m for the same period a year ago. SIA, the world's second-largest airline by market value, said the rebound was thanks to a rise in both passenger and freight traffic.

Interestingly, BBC News also quoted International Air Transport Association (IATA) which said this month that global airlines would collectively make $2.5bn in profit this year.

C. Thai Airways

According to a Reuters report posted HERE, Thai Airways reported a better-than-expected second-quarter net profit on August 16th 2010 as foreign exchange gains helped to offset lower passenger numbers during mass street protests.

The state-controlled carrier earned a net THB1.55 billion baht (USD$48.63 million) in the April-June quarter, against a THB5.40 billion net loss a year earlier, when it had foreign exchange losses and falling passenger numbers due to political unrest and the H1N1 flu outbreak.

Anti-government protests in Bangkok that began on March 12 turned deadly in April and ended with a military crackdown on May 19, leading to a sharp drop in tourism.

The airline's outlook in coming quarters looks better, analysts said, as the political situation is expected to be more stable, plus the high season in the last quarter would boost passenger numbers.

D. Cathay Pacific

According to Air Transport World HERE, Cathay Pacific Airways posted net income of HK$6.84 billion ($881 million) in the 2010 first half, a more than eightfold increase over a HK$812 million profit in the year-ago period, an earnings jump that was helped by a 33.7% hike in revenue to HK$41.33 billion.

CX additionally announced yesterday that it signed a letter of intent with Airbus covering the purchase of 30 A350-900s. The airline said the Rolls Royce Trent 1000 XWB-powered aircraft will form the backbone of its future midsize widebody fleet. They are slated for delivery between 2016 and 2019 and will replace CX's A330s and A340s. The next-generation aircraft will be used across the carrier's network, including on nonstop flights from Hong Kong to Europe and North America.

The Hong Kong-based airline said it enjoyed a strong rebound in premium passenger business and cargo traffic in the six months ended June 30. Its profit increase came despite a 51% jump in fuel prices, a major factor in costs increasing 25.9% to HK$36.37 billion. Operating profit lifted 252% to HK$7.12 billion from HK$2.04 billion last year. Current period results benefitted from an HK$2.17 billion profit on asset disposals, primarily the sale of CX's remaining 15% interest in HAECO to Swire Pacific.

E. Jetstar

This site HERE reported Jetstar turned in a record pre tax profit, though.

Another site Here said that Jetstar, Qantas Airways Ltd.'s budget airline unit, expects to further reduce costs as rising Asian travel demand and new routes boost traffic.

"We can definitely continue to drive costs out of our business," Jetstar Chief Executive Officer Bruce Buchanan, 37, said in an interview in Bloomberg's Melbourne bureau yesterday. "If you want to drive growth and a decline in real airfares you have to drive your costs down further or it becomes an unsustainable proposition."

F. Quantas

Yahoo News reported HERE (on August 11th) that Australia's Qantas Airways announced a 4.3 percent drop in full-year net profits but said conditions were improving as the industry recovers from its battering in the financial crisis.

Net profits were 112 million dollars (101 million US), down from 117 million a year earlier, while underlying pre-tax profits rose three-fold to 377 million after last year's massive cost-cutting exercise.

"While global trading conditions remained challenging, they continued to improve, and the Qantas Group has delivered a strong result, more than tripling its full year profit year-on-year," Chief Executive Alan Joyce said.

G. Garuda Air

Business Times reported HERE that PT Garuda Indonesia, the country's flagship carrier, said yesterday its first half 2010 profit plunged 80 per cent from a year ago on higher costs amid preparation for its US$400 million (US$1 = RM3.15) initial public offering (IPO).

The hit to income comes as the company is trying to boost investor confidence ahead of a long-delayed IPO now planned for November, though the airline still expects full-year profit to be flat from last year's US$112.6 million.

The airline saw first half net profit of U$13.73 million, compared to US$67.93 million a year earlier, said Elisa Lumbantoruan, Garuda's acting finance director, after a meeting with the state enterprise ministry.

"Our production costs increased significantly despite revenue increasing around 3 per cent," Lumbantoruan told reporters.

"In June, we had 9,000 flights while in January we had only 7,000."


We all know that every single airline will face the rising costs in fuel so if so many other airlines in the region (with the exception of Quantas and PT Garuda) can reap profits, what happened to MAS?

Looks like MAS is not EMAS any more.

And why?

*Emas means 'gold' in Bahasa Malaysia

Please read:

1. RPK's post HERE on The MAS scandal: what the MACC swept under the carpet and marked NFA.

2. Free Malaysia Today's RM8 billion MAS loss: Who is protecting Tajuddin?

3. The Malaysian Insider's PAS MP claims MACC failed to investigate MAS scandal.

According to Wikipedia HERE:

Under the various initiatives, launched together with the Business Turnaround Plan, Malaysia Airlines turned losses into profits between FY2006 and FY2007. When the Business Turnaround Plan came to an end, the airline posted a record profit of 851 million Ringgit (265 million dollars) in 2007, ending a series of losses since 2005. The result exceeded the target of RM300 Million by 184%.

Among the initiatives that turned losses back into profit, route rationalising was one of the major contributors. Malaysia Airlines pared its domestic routes from 114 to 22, and also cancelled virtually all unprofitable international routes (such as Kuala Lumpur-Manchester, that required a 140% load factor to break even). Apart from that, Malaysia Airlines also rescheduled all of its flight timings and changed its operations model from point to point services to hub and spoke services.

Additionally, the airline started Project Omega and Project Alpha to improve the company's network and revenue management. Emphasis has been placed on six areas: pricing, revenue management, network scheduling, opening storefronts, low season strategy and distribution management.

Malaysia Airlines has been involved in discussions for new aircraft purchases, using its cash surplus of 5.3 billion Ringgit to eventually purchase 55 narrow-body aircraft and 55 wide-body aircraft.

Despite all these achievements, the airline is still frequently the target of critics who often deride the carrier is lagging behind their competitors in the region. This notion is not helped by the fact Malaysia Airlines has not made substantial investments in customer service, especially compared to Thai Airways or Singapore Airlines.

On 22 December 2009, MAS announced the purchase of 15 new Airbus A330 aircraft, with options for another 10. Expected to be delivered between 2011 and 2016, they are intended to operate on medium-haul routes to eastern Asia, Australia, and the Middle East. The airline's plans are to run Airbus A380 planes, which will be introduced into service in 2011, on long-haul routes, A330s on medium-haul routes, and Boeing 737 aircraft on short-haul routes. Under this plan, it is unclear where Boeing wide-bodies currently in the fleet would fall.

Everyday Low Fares

Malaysia Airlines took an unprecedented move with its "Everyday Low Fares" (ELF) programme on 6 May 2008 which offers 1.3 million RM 0 for all domestic routes operated by Malaysia Airlines and Firefly.[23] According to the managing director of Malaysia Airlines, Datuk Seri Idris Jala the Everyday Low Fares programme will create new demand for people who do not fly with Malaysia Airlines.[24]

The Everyday Low Fares programme offers a maximum of 30% of the total seats on every flight which are unsold due to the average load factor of 70% on each flight. Thus, Malaysia Airlines is generating income for the airline through fuel surcharge, administrative fee and airport tax. By 14 May 2008, Malaysia Airlines has sold more than 150,000 seats since the launch of the programme and 50,000 tickets has been sold in the first two days.[26] Malaysia Airlines is also extending the programme to all ASEAN routes operated by Malaysia Airlines (except Yangon).

However, the Everyday Low Fares programme launched by Malaysia Airlines has been strongly opposed by Asia's largest low-cost carrier, AirAsia, which claims that Malaysia Airlines is competing directly with AirAsia's business model but at the same time not allowing the budget carrier to compete against the national airline. CLICK HERE for more.

Despite all these efforts, the facts and figures show that Air Asia managed to reap profits but MAS did not. So what happened?

Rising costs? How come other airlines could STILL post profits???

Do leave a comment to share your thoughts and views.


Melawat Pasar Ramadan di Kampung Melayu, Air Itam

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 05:11 AM PDT





Bermesra dengan peniaga dan pengunjung di Pasar Ramadan, Kampung Melayu, Air Itam. Tahun ini, tapak tersebut telah ditarkan semula dan lebih ramai gerai telah berniaga. ADUN Pakatan Rakyat mewakili pengundi semua kaum dan mengucapkan Selamat Berpuasa kepada semua kawan-kawan Islam.


Penyelewengan Pemimpin UMNO Terhadap FELDA Akan Dibogelkan

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 04:05 AM PDT

Felda Saman Malu Suara Keadilan, Lima Defenden RM200 Juta

Lembaga Kemajuan Tanah Persekutuan (Felda) dan anak syarikatnya, Felda Global Ventures Holdings hari ini memfailkan saman malu RM200 juta terhadap akhbar rasmi KEADILAN, Suara Keadilan dan lima defendan berikutan penyiaran artikel "Felda Bangkrap" dalam akhbar tersebut Jun lalu.

Saman itu difailkan di Pejabat Pendaftar Mahkamah Tinggi Kuala Lumpur pukul 3.11 petang tadi.

Lima defenden yang dinamakan dalam saman malu tersebut termasuk Presiden KEADILAN, Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, Timbalan Presiden, Senator Dr Syed Husin Ali, pencetak dan penerbit Suara Keadilan.

Sabtu lepas, peguam yang mewakili Suara Keadilan, N Surendran berkata tindakan saman itu menimbulkan persoalan sama ada agensi tersebut sudah lingkup setelah mengalami penurunan rizab tunai secara mendadak dalam tempoh lima tahun.

Surendran berkata undang-undang jelas menunjukkan Felda ditubuhkan dengan dana awam dan tujuannya adalah untuk memberikan bantuan kepada rakyat melalui rancangan tanah dan program skim pertanian.

Katanya lagi, undang-undang adalah jelas dan Felda tidak boleh saman fitnah terhadap Suara Keadilan.

Surendran berkata ugutan saman yang diambil oleh Felda tidak mempunyai asas dan prinsip undang-undang.

Mana-mana badan berkanun yang menggunakan wang rakyat dan memberikan perkhidmatan untuk kepentingan rakyat, tidak boleh mengeluarkan saman fitnah setiap kali dikritik oleh rakyat tegas beliau.


Ketika dihubungi Suara Keadilan, Naib Presiden KEADILAN, Sivarasa Rasiah berkata parti belum lagi menerima writ saman yang baru difailkan hari ini.

"Kami akan meneliti dan mengkaji dokumen saman tersebut terlebih dahulu sebelum menganbil tindakan susulan.

"Walau apa pun kita tetap berpendirian apa yang disiarkan oleh Suara Keadilan berhubung isu Felda bankrap adalah berasaskan fakta. Kita akan tetap lawan kerana apa yang didedahkan adalah mengenai isu rizab tunai Felda yang merudum," kata Sivarasa. -SK


Peguam: Felda Tidak Boleh Saman Suara Keadilan

Lembaga Kemajuan Tanah Persekutuan (Felda) tidak boleh menyaman fitnah ke atas akhbar Suara Keadilan kerana agensi itu ditubuhkan dengan menggunakan dana rakyat.

"Soal yang timbul di sini adakah secara undang-undang, moral dan etika, Felda tidak boleh membawa apa-apa tindakan undang-undang kepada rakyat yang mengeluarkan kritikan ke atas Felda.

"Felda adalah badan berkanun yang ditubuhkan dengan menggunakan wang rakyat. Felda ditubuhkan untuk memberi bantuan dan faedah kepada rakyat. Undang-undang adalah jelas, Felda tidak boleh saman fitnah (kepada Suara Keadilan).

"Prinsip undang-undang adalah jelas, apa-apa badan yang yang ditubuhkan dengan wang rakyat dan untuk kebaikan rakyat, tidak boleh mengeluarkan saman fitnah setiap kali dikritik oleh rakyat," katanya peguam yang dilantik oleh akhbar berkenaan, N Surendran.

Menurutnya, berdasarkan undang-undang lazim atau 'commom law' itu, yang diamalkan kerajaan negeri, kerajaan persekutuan, kerajaan tempatan atau badan berkanun tidak boleh membuat saman fitnah ke atas rakyat.

Sehubungan itu, Surendren menasihatkan Felda agar mencari penasihat undang-undang yang bijak, membuat kajian serta tidak mengeluarkan kenyataan yang tidak mempunyai asas undang-undang.

Beliau berkata demikian dalam satu sidang media bagi mengulas bahawa Felda akan memfailkan SAMAN terhadap lidah rasmi PKR itu pada "bila-bila masa".

Turut hadir pada sidang media itu adalah naib presiden PKR Sivarasa Rasiah, pengerusi biro Felda PKR Suhaimi Said dan bekas timbalan menteri tanah dan koperasi Datuk Tan Kee Kwong di ibu pejabat parti itu petang ini.

Mengulas lanjut, Surendren mendakwa selain badan berkanun, kerajaan persekutuan dan kerajaan negeri juga tidak dibenarkan menyaman rakyat.

"Jika perkara itu dibenarkan, maka hak rakyat untuk mengeluarkan kritikan terhadap kerajaan, institusi kerajaan dan badan berkanun, akan tergugat," katanya.

Menjawab soalan, Surendren berkata, pihaknya belum menerima writ saman daripada Felda sebaliknya hanya menerima NOTIS TUNTUTAN saman daripada agensi kerajaan itu pada 1 Julai lalu.

Mengulas dari sudut moral, Surendren berkata Felda ditubuhkan dengan menawarkan skim-skim tertentu bagi membantu peneroka, bukannnya "dipergunakan oleh segelintir orang untuk menghentam parti politik pembangkang".

"Itu bukan tujuan (penubuhan) Felda. Tujuan Felda adalah untuk membantu orang (peneroka) di luar bandar dengan skim-skim perladangan.

"Bagaimana sebuah badan berkanun, yang ditubuhkan untuk tujuan itu, menggunakan wang dan sebagainya untuk menyerang individu tertentu dan parti-parti politik. Langsung tidak masuk akal," katanya

Dalam sidang media yang sama, Suhaimi mendakwa tindakan Perdana Menteri, Datuk Seri Najib Razak yang mengumumkan pemberian duit raya sebanyak RM350 dan RM150 masing-masing kepada peneroka bersama dan tidak bersama agensi itu adalah "satu perkara lama yang telah diamalkan oleh BN".

Beliau mendakwa duit yang diberikan itu adalah asalnya duit yang dikumpulkan oleh peneroka dan ia dikembalikan kepada mereka semula.

PENGERUSI FELDA DAPAT RM2 JUTA SETAHUN?

"Seolah-olah peneroka tidak tahu, bahawa duit itu adalah duit mereka sendiri," katanya.

Pada sidang media yang sama, Sivarasa melontar persoalan kepada pengerusi Felda Tan Sri Yusof Nor (kiri, tengah) sama ada benar atau tidak jumlah gaji dan elaun yang diterimanya adalah sebanyak hampir RM2 juta setahun.

"Adakah benar atau tidak bahawa jumlah gaji, elaun, dan apa-apa bayaran yang Tan Sri Yusof dapat daripada Felda dan daripada anak-anak syarikat Felda, jumlah ini adalah hampir RM2 juta setahun. Sila beritahulah (kepada rakyat), betul atau tidak," katanya.

Sivarasa yang juga ahli parlimen Subang berkata rakyat dan peneroka Felda menunggu jawapan yang akan diberikan Yusof susulan soalan yang dilontarkannya.

"Saya cuma nak tahu ya atau tidak, itu sahaja. Jadi saya menantikan jawapan daripada beliau.

"Ini kerana sebagai Pengerusi Felda yang mengawal anak-anak syarikat sudah tentu pendapatannya tinggi.

"Itu yang saya mahu tahu apakah ganjaran sebenarnya yang diperoleh beliau setiap tahun. Adakah ia ada mencecah RM2 juta," kata Sivarasa.





A PROSTRATE PROBLEM?

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 03:17 AM PDT

My friend, Freddie, just sent me the following joke which had me in stitches. Sorry for not putting up a post earlier as I have been so busy with household chores. The next post will be up at 8p.m. Thanks for swinging by! Take care and smile :-). No offense to any one....

________________________________

A man walks into his doctor's office and sits down in the waiting room. While waiting for his turn to be seen, a casual acquaintance walks in and sits down next to him.

The newcomer asks," Ww..wha..what are yy.you ddd.dd.doing here?"



The man replies," I am waiting to see the doctor."

"Ww..wh..why ddd.do yyyy..you want tt.to sss.see the doctor?"

The man replies, "Well, if you must know, I have a prostate problem."

"Aaa..a pp.ppro..prostate problem? Ww..what i..i..is that?"

"Well, if you must know, I pee like you talk!!!"

__________________

On a more serious note, if you know of anyone who stammers, do help them to gain confidence and to seek help from a speech therapist. The following diagram might help us to better understand the problem.

Do swing by again at 8p.m. for the next sopo post. Thanks! Have a lovely evneing.


No comments: