Saturday, January 29, 2011

Revisiting 2010

Revisiting 2010


Revisiting 2010

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 08:36 AM PST

You may want to smack me all you want (read: only with my hubby's permission) if you think I am not living up to my blogging standards. I sincerely know I am not doing a good job in keeping up with a religious frequency.

With all your respect, I do hope I am still not too late to holler about how 2010 has taken a sharp claw-scratch in my life. I made 5 resolutions last year and truth to be told, I don't think I did an exemplary job. Click here for last year's post.

I shall empower myself with moderation
Grace eating Laksa
Did I really practise moderation? I was very gung-ho about gym for the first few months but after being so caught up with work, I totally lost the interest and passion to exercise. Muscles turned flabby of course! However, I did a somewhat decent job in my diet. Thus, my weight did not fluctuate up or down drastically. I do indulge in sweet desserts like chocolate brownies or my favourite high-in-sodium Kin Kin Chilli Pan Mee or even deep-fried-fattening-and-yet-finger-licking-good KFC. The fact is, you guys did not know that I have a personal Food Police, to constantly remind me that I must not indulge sinfully everyday! What else? Oh, at least I am not glued to the couch for hours and hours of TVB or American dramas.

I shall empower myself in God's favour
Holy Spirit - Dove
I always believe that God should be the centre of our lives in whatever circumstances. Isaiah 40 has lifted me up when I was walking through my darkest valleys. He has blessed me in many ways that I couldn't even possibly imagine such as a rewarding (even though tiring) career and an amazingly elite man. I will be strike by lightning if I am not grateful. I am more than indebted towards God's favour in my life. I can only continue to sing praises and give thanks for my God has never neglected me.

I shall empower myself in my career
Career
A year has passed in a blink of an eye. You may refer to me for a lot of general questions about the heartbeat or arrhythmias but I am still not as brainy as the Cardiologists. I still need to force myself to amplify my competency in this area. Sinus bradycardia, Left bundle branch block, Mobitz II, Brugada syndrome, HOCM and… *faints*

I shall empower myself with at least one Beach holiday
Koh Lipe
Yes! It is unquestionably a big yes on this. If you're a beach lover, I implore you to include Koh Lipe in your travelling list. The island is not fully developed and you will be mesmerized with aquamarine waters and white sandy beaches. Needless to say, I am extremely contented with my beach escapade in 2010.

I shall empower myself with more joy
It depends how you perceive joy. For me, the most essential element of joy would be the laughter liberated from within. For the first half of 2010, I had more tears of frustration and discontent than carrying a joyful laughter. It was a rather a nerve-racking journey for me. Nevertheless, God poured a lot of unconditional love (read: plus my husband) for me and I learned to toss the misery away bit by bit. One good thing that I am always proud and thankful to have, is an awesome bunch of friends in my life to provide me support and listening ears.

Friends of my life

Conclusion
The first half of 2010 was a road filled with hurdles one after another but the second half I had someone to help me over these hurdles or even knocked them down for me.

My husband and I

As for this year, I want to live my life vivaciously with God's anointed presence at all times. And I want to set a better 2011 for myself and…ssssshhh…to be a noble wife to my virtuous husband.


Manga illustrator Shotaro Tokuno live drawing

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 08:37 AM PST

A video which shows Japanese manga illustrator Shotaro Tokuno (得能正太郎, loose translation) drawing a manga-ish character with Wacom' Cintiq 21UX pen tablet. Interesting, but a bit long winded (15 minutes long)…

The Cintiq enables creative professionals to work with Wacom's patented professional pen technology directly on the surface of an LCD display, which closely replicates the experience of working with traditional brushes and markers, but offers all the benefits of a digital workflow.

The concept is similar with other tablet computers (iPad etc.) but with higher resolutions and more levels of pressure sensitivity.

Manga illustrator Shotaro Tokuno live drawing from YeinJee's Asian Blog


MAY THE BEST CANDIDATE WIN

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 08:47 AM PST

In the next few hours, voters in Tenang, Johor will cast their votes in the 16 by-elections, an extraordinary number of by-elections to be held in 3 years since the 2008 General Elections. Over the last two weeks, election workers and agents from both the political parties have been working hard to ensure that their candidate gets the best support in terms of widespread publicity.

I am not competent enough to make a guess as to who is likely to win the by-election, but in the battle for publicity it is quite obvious the BN candidate seems to have the edge. The mainstream media, especially the electronic media has been providing exclusive coverage for the BN candidate.

Like in all previous by-elections, I observe that candidates rarely make an appearance to speak to the electorates at public rallies. Instead, it is the leaders of the party that does the speaking while the candidate takes a back seat. This was clearly the case in Tenang where the likes of Muhyiddin Yasin and Chua Soi Lek took center stage for the BN candidate, while Anwar, Lim Guan Eng and some PAS leaders campaigned for the PR candidate. This being so, the electorates are not able to assess the oratory skills of the candidates and to listen to the election promises that the candidates could offer.

And as in all previous by-elections too, millions of ringgit has been handed out and with promises that more to come if the BN is voted in. With limited resources, PR could not offer cash handouts and cash promises. Neither could the PR make offers of development for the Tenang electorate.

I must admit that I am somewhat appalled and dismayed at the quality of issues raised by the parties throughout the campaigning period. I would have liked that candidates labour upon issues that affects the social and economic livelihood of the electorates, such as issues relating to unemployment, rising costs of living, education, medical and health care and benefits. What are the challenges that may affect society in the years ahead, and how do the parties intend to take on such challenges. Rather then labour upon the aforesaid issues, the parties choose to launch personal and discriminatory attacks on the candidates, their spouses and even other party leaders. This is disgusting to say the least.

I do not know if ever future contending political parties and their candidates will ever adopt a more rational method of campaigning where issues that affects the social and economic well being of the electorate takes precedents over personal discriminatory attacks.

Finally, I just have to say this………………..may the best candidate win.


CRUSADE AGAINST CORRUPTION


TERKINI: Hayunan Terakhir PRK Tenang

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 09:04 AM PST

Sekali pun hujan rahmat cukup lebat dan mencurah turun, lebih 500 penduduk Tenang tidak berganjak di dalam majlis Makan Malam DAP di Labis sebentar tadi. Dilaporkan BN yang cuba menganggu majlis berkenaan dengan kedudukannya di seberang jalan, hanya dihadiri oleh 30 orang.

Turut memeriahkan majlis Makan Malam DAP berkenaan selain ceramah calon Pakatan Rakyat, Normala Sudirman ialah ceramah Datuk Seri Nizar Jamaluddin yang turut menyanyikan lagi Mandarin "The Moon Represents My Heart" yang dinyanyikan bersama oleh peserta yang hadir.










PM is a spammer!

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 08:16 AM PST

What fucking fool was it that stole my email address and then spammed me with this message? What right has Najib or his goons got to send me this unsolicited email? Have you no ethics, man? Can I call on MCMC to investigate this bloody invasion of my privacy? Bugger off, will you?


ca-pub-5430283382112812


Konvensyen Barisan Nasional Negeri Pahang 2011...

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 05:28 AM PST


IKRAR...

Bahawasanya,
Barisan Nasional Negeri Pahang
merakamkan penghargaan dan terima kasih
kepada semua rakyat
di atas sokongan dan mandat
serta kepercayaan
kepada Barisan Nasional
untuk menerajui agama, bangsa
dan negara tercinta

Maka
Kami,

Barisan Nasional Negeri Pahang
Berikrar akan terus menguat
dan mempertahankan perpaduan
dan kerjasama di antara kami semua
demi untuk memberikan
khidmat bakti yang tulus ikhlas
untuk kesejahteraan
rakyat berbilang kaum dan agama
dan untuk mempertahankan
konsep kerjasama Barisan Nasional
demi untuk negara yang tercinta
Inilah ikrar kami
BARISAN NASIONAL RAKYAT DIDAHULUKAN





PS/: My first time to the Pahang BN Convention...


Poor Sleep Destroys Relationships

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 08:00 AM PST

From BBC Online: 27 January 2011 Last updated at 00:01 GMT
Insomnia damages relationships, according to study Insomnia linked to relationship problems
Lack of sleep needs to be treated as a major health issue, according to a report published by the Mental Health Foundation.

The Great British Sleep Report suggests a link between insomnia and poor relationships, low energy


PRK Tenang: Pusingan Akhir Pergelutan - Ubah Sekarang!

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 07:47 AM PST

Hari paling sibuk dalam pilihanraya biasanya adalah hari-hari akhir menjelang pengundian. Di sinilah "senjata akhir" akan digunakan oleh parti-parti yang bertanding. Hari terakhir berkempen bermakna hari kritikal bagi kedua-dua pihak. Hari "panas" untuk mengambil seberapa banyak peluang berkempen!

Bagi pengundi, ini mungkin hari terakhir mereka mendapat sebarang bentuk hadiah dari langit. Tangan-tangan yang memangkah dalam pilihanraya merupakan tangan yang amat berkuasa menentukan jatuh bangun sesebuah kerajaan.

Dalam konteks Tenang; rakyat diberi pilihan samada memilih PAS ataupun BN. Untung sabut timbul, untung batu tenggelam. Tuah ayam nampak di kaki, tuah manusia siapa yang tahu.

Kurang dari 24 jam lagi, tempoh berkempen akan tamat. Jentera kedua-dua parti bertungkus lumus berperang memenangi psikologi dan hati rakyat. Ada banyak cerita dapat didengar, ada banyak emosi boleh dikongsi. Para pengundi semestinya telah ada pilihan di hati. Semangat kerja berpasukan dengan moral dan disiplin yang tinggi terutama dari jentera Pakatan Rakyat boleh diberi salut! Ia bukan disebabkan upah atau nasi bungkus. Harapan dan sokongan dalam merintis jalan kesepaduan PAS, DAP dan PKR tidak lain hanya untuk Malaysia yang lebih adil dan berkebajikan.

Malaysia dengan sinar yang begemerlapan!

Pakatan Rakyat mantap

Tidak dapat dinafikan, BN dibantu dengan jentera kerajaan. Akan tetapi, jentera sahaja tidak cukup kalau tanpa isu yang baik. Kempen politik boleh jadi sangat menjengkelkan dengan isu peribadi yang "terlalu remeh" dan dilihat tiada maruah. Penganalisis politik melihat BN ketandusan isu sejak mula berkempen lagi. Sehingga saat-saat akhir tempoh berkempen, BN dilihat gelabah apabila telah mempolitikkan MC suami calon PAS Makrof Abd Mutalib.

Selain itu, kes lelong tanah yang menyeret calon BN Mohd Azahar Ibrahim secara langsung dan tidak langsung dikatakan sedikit sebanyak telah mempengaruhi mood sebahagian pengundi yang bersimpati. Jelas, Azhar Ibrahim punya rekod kurang baik untuk difikirkan warga Tenang. Isu ini merupakan kredit percuma untuk PAS.

Harapan Malaysia Baru untuk Tenang

Seluruh Malaysia sedang memerhati perkembangan politik di Tenang. Kita diperlihatkan dengan Kugan, Teoh Beng Hock dan Amirulrasyid yang meninggal dunia akibat salah laku dan kerakusan pihak berkuasa. Apakah tragedi yang meragut nyawa ini tidak menjadi sentimen rakyat di Tenang?

Atau; harga minyak harus dinaikkan lagi supaya rakyat Tenang sedar? Apa yang akan berlaku? Adakah keputusan pilihanraya nanti akan memihak kepada rakyat? Sekiranya BN menjaja isu Negara Islam, "salam", hudud PAS, ketuanan Melayu dan percaturan Saiful dengan bekas bosnya; Pakatan Rakayat lebih mendahului dengan senarai panjang isu-isu lokal dan nasional melibatkan keadilan dan intergriti yang masih segar dan bermaruah. Tak perlulah saya senarikan semuanya di sini. Anda lebih sedia maklum. Saya yakin PRK kali ini akan memperlihatkan sejauh mana jentera Pakatan Rakyat berjaya membebaskan pemikiran rakyat Tenang khususnya masyarakat FELDA mengenai isu-isu nasional atau; rakyat Tenang selesa dengan keadaan sekarang.

Akbar Sinar Harian bertarikh 28 Januari 2011 memetik Mashitah Ibrahim; Ketua Wanita UMNO Baling memberi ingatan kepada BN supaya jangan memandang remeh strategi PAS meletakkan "pemidato" sebagi calon. Apatah lagi calon PAS adalah calon dari kalangan kaum wanita. Penulis melihat Cikgu Mala punya aura tersendiri sebagai seorang yang penuh semangat, tabah dan "tidak gemuk". Beliau tidak kekok bercakap, tidak lekang senyuman. Untung nasib. Tangan yang menghayun buaian ini mampu menggegarkan DUN Johor! -MR

*Hafiz Zainuddin ialah penulis bebas.


My wife received unsolicited email from Najib Razak and family. Najib spam!

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 06:55 AM PST



My wife is totally disinterested in politics. She has neither visited 1Malaysia.com.my nor any politically-related sites.

So, how did Najib's email end up in her inbox? I'm curious. Why is 1Malaysia invading the privacy of Malaysians?


‘Will they shoot?'

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 06:20 AM PST

I interviewed Elliott Abrams, an Egypt expert with the Council on Foreign Relations, about Al-Jazeera's reports that the protesters greeted the military with celebrations, and that the military might in turn side against Mubarak. Here's what he said:

The difference between military and the police, is that the police are constantly being used for 30 years now to suppress the people. It's the police who are constantly in small confrontations with the citizens. When it comes to freedom of expression or freedom of assembly it's the police. The army is very popular, a heroic institution that fought the Israelis, and the army led the revolution in '52 and '53, so the army has a very different relationship with the people than with the police force. It is not true that the army hated Mubarak; he was in the air force and has always had a close relationship with the leadership.

But what about the people who are privates and sergeants, etc.? That's the real question. The regimes always take very good care of the generals. But normally the people at the bottom live in poverty, they don't have officers' clubs or any of that. So the question is, when the moment comes when either the crowd is going to overwhelm you, or you shoot — what are you going to do? It's a question about the people on the bottom; will they actually shoot, will they follow the orders? And will the people at the top actually give the order? In Tunisia the answer was no. Well Mubarak is 82 — what kind of future are you going to have if the army shoots at people? I don't think we know yet.

The question now hinges on the crowds and the degree of confrontation. In all of these regimes – there's no precedent. It hasn't happened in these countries. It is reasonable to think that either the soldiers themselves won't do it, or the generals won't give the orders. Source: National Review


Anti-semitism as a tool of Arab regimes

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 06:09 AM PST

Mudar Zahran is a London-based Jordanian writer who I have previously reported was the object of public death threats from people in his home country. This article in Hudson-NY shows one reason why.
For more than sixty years of conflict, the carefully government-channeled hatred revolved around Zionism and Israel, rather than around Judaism and Jews.

Since 2008, however, the Jordanian printed media has been launching a fierce attack on almost everything Jewish.

Why would the supposedly-moderate Jordan adopt a strong anti-Semitic agenda?

The answer to this question is simple; Jordan's oppressed Palestinian majority has been seeking more civil rights in the last few years. Therefore, the Jordanian government has to distract them by igniting anti-Semitic rhetoric.

Arab regimes apparently needed a new method to direct their own people's anger towards someone else. The US and Europe were, of course, out of the question, and the communist "infidel" states were no longer in existence. Again, Arab regimes were stuck with Israel as "the source of all evil" with no way for regimes to revive that notion: their people have become fed up after decades of propaganda. The Arab regimes' "Plan B" was to ignite an even larger religious zeal by constantly reminding their people that the Israelis are "a part of a larger Jewish scheme of controlling the world."

Today, the message has dramatically changed; media language and definitions have been surgically altered by many Arab governments. The term "Zionist" has turned into "Jews," and, for the more moderate Arab media, "Peace talks" into "Jewish opposition to peace…or world peace."

The growing trend of anti-Semitism on Arab TV shows has been vigorously picking up momentum the last few years. Anti-Semitic-themed shows have become common on many of the 300-plus Arab satellite networks, including TV Channels and media outlets owned by theoretically pro-Western Arab governments are no exception -- crossing the line from anti-Semitism to open support for terrorism.

Read the whole thing. Hat tip: Elder of Ziyon


Visiting the children

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 05:55 AM PST

It has been more than 2 weeks since Sofie was warded at Ipoh GH. I have visited her thrice at the hospital, and every time I did, I met Saiful as well since he's the one who stays by his mother's bedside at the hospital.

So what has been happening to Sofie's other children? I knew Sofie's sister (the reliable one who moved from up north to stay with Sofie, not the earlier sister who told the whole neighbourhood about Sofie's HIV) stays with the children, but she has to go to work. What about the children's schooling arrangements.

Today I decided to visit the children. It's the end of the month anyway, I might as well send them some groceries as well.

So this morning when I went to the center to interview a new volunteer, I took the box of whatever groceries left (donated earlier this month). Then after zohor, I headed to a grocery shop to top-up the groceries with whatever other stuff needed, using donations I get from friends on monthly basis for the poor families under my care. I just added a few more items… totalling slightly over RM70. Even the taukeh at the grocery shop commented, "Barang sekarang sikit saja pun sudah lebih 70 ringgit!"

As I headed off to Sofie's house, it did look like it was going to rain, but thank God it didn't. As I got to their house, I could see the door was open, so I knew someone was home. Frankly I wasn't sure if they'd be home… who knows, they may have gone to their grandma's house in another town where they used to stay before.

When I parked my car right in front of their house, I saw Azman, 15, and Ika, 9. Azman was tidying up the house. Azman immediately came out to salam with me, and helped to carry the box of groceries from my car. Sofie's sister was at work. I went in and soon Azlan, 17, walked in. He was somewhere behind the house earlier.

I had a chat with them, asking about their schooling etc. Since Azlan didn't want to transfer to a new school when Sofie moved to this new rented house, he has to use the inter-town bus to go to school every day. He has to go out at 6.30 am. Azman cycles to school as his school is within the same town, as a matter of fact, the school is just along the main road. Saiful goes to the same school as Azman (although Saiful has skipped school for more than 2 weeks to take care of his mother at the hospital) and so he too cycles to school. Ika's school (primary) is not that far from their school, but since Sofie wasn't too confident in letting Ika cycle to school (the main road can be quite busy), Sofie has arranged for a school bus.

Azlan and Azman goes to school in the morning while Ika goes in the afternoon. So for the past 2 weeks since Sofie was warded, when the aunt goes to work, and Azlan & Azman goes to school in the mornings, Ika would be alone at home until about 12 noon or so. However, the landlord's mother who stays nearby (the place where they stay is a row of houses all belonging to the same landlord who stays elsewhere) who sympathised, would keep an eye on Ika. In fact, she's the one who'd come to the house when it's nearing noon to make sure Ika is ready. No worries about when Ika comes back from school, because by then the 2 older brothers would be home.

As we were chatting, Azman and Ika went into the kitchen. Soon, Ika came out carrying a cup of drink for me. Apparently Azman had made the drink and Ika served. Aah… without their mother around, they took the liberty to serve drinks to their guests.

Azman, the more talkative one, told me that the school had already sent a warning letter to Saiful for being absent from school for so long. Sofie's sister then wrote a letter to the school and since Azman studies in the same school, he went to see the teacher personally to deliver the letter and to explain why Saiful couldn't come to school… why they couldn't take turns to take care of their mother etc. The teacher told Azman that he actually didn't want to issue the warning letter, but since Saiful's absence from school was only told to him through Saiful's classmate, and not by any adult family members, the headmaster instructed him to just issue the letter so that at least the family would take the initiative to write a formal letter to the school.

Well, no school next week. Hopefully by the time school reopens after CNY, Sofie would be discharged from the hospital so that Saiful can go back to school. I've already told Sofie and Saiful to get a letter from the hospital to be given to the school. Hopefully no further action will be taken by the school.

 

 


Motivation speech of Muslim General Tariq ibn Ziyad who conquest Spain and Portugal

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 05:42 AM PST

Tariq ibn Ziyad is considered to be one of the most important military commanders in Islamic history. He was initially the deputy of Musa ibn Nusair in North Africa, and was sent by his superior from the north coast of Morocco to launch the first thrust of a conquest of the Visigothic Kingdom (comprising modern Spain and Portugal).

Tariq ibn Ziyad or Taric bin Zeyad (also spelled as Tarique, Tarik or Tarek) (Arabic: طارق بن زياد‎, 15 November 689 – 11 April 720) was a great Muslim Umayyad general who led the conquest of Visigothic Hispania in 711 under the orders of the Umayyad Caliph Al-Walid I.

Around the Tariq's life , there are many legends.

On April 29 711, the armies of Tariq, composed of recent converts to Islam,[5] landed at Gibraltar (the name Gibraltar is derived from the Arabic name Jabal al Tariq, which means mountain of (the) Tariq, or the more obvious Gibr Tariq, meaning rock of Tariq).

The 17th century Muslim historian Al-Maqqari wrote that upon landing, Tariq burned his ships and then made a speech, well-known in the Muslim world, to his soldiers.

 

  1. "Oh my warriors, whither would you flee?
    • Behind you is the sea, before you, the enemy.
    • You have left now only the hope of your courage and your constancy.
  2. Remember that in this country you are more unfortunate than the orphan seated at the table of the avaricious master.
  3. Your enemy is before you,
    • protected by an innumerable army;
    • he has men in abundance,
  4. but you, as your only aid,
    • have your own swords,
    • and, as your only chance for life, such chance as you can snatch from the hands of your enemy.
  5. If the absolute want to which you are reduced is prolonged ever so little,
    • if you delay to seize immediate success,
    • your good fortune will vanish,
    • and your enemies, whom your very presence has filled with fear, will take courage.
  6. Put far from you the disgrace from which you flee in dreams, and attack this monarch who has left his strongly fortified city to meet you.
  7. Here is a splendid opportunity to defeat him,
    • if you will consent to expose yourselves freely to death.
    • Do not believe that I desire to incite you to face dangers which I shall refuse to share with you.
    • In the attack I myself will be in the fore, where the chance of life is always least.
  8. Remember that if you suffer a few moments in patience, you will afterward enjoy supreme delight.
    • Do not imagine that your fate can be separated from mine,
    • and rest assured that if you fall, I shall perish with you, or avenge you.
  9. You have heard that in this country_
    • there are a large number of ravishingly beautiful Greek maidens,
    • their graceful forms are draped in sumptuous gowns on which gleam pearls, coral, and purest gold, and they live in the palaces of royal kings.
  10. The Commander of True Believers, Alwalid, son of Abdalmelik, has chosen you
    •  for this attack from among all his Arab warriors;
    • and he promises that you shall become his comrades
    • and shall hold the rank of kings in this country.
    • Such is his confidence in your intrepidity.
  11. The one fruit which he desires to obtain from your bravery is that the word of God shall be exalted in this country, and that the true religion shall be established here.
  12. The spoils will belong to yourselves.

Remember that I place myself in the front of this glorious charge which I exhort you to make.

  1. At the moment when the two armies meet hand to hand,
    • you will see me,
    • never doubt it,
    • seeking out this Roderick,
    • tyrant of his people,
    • challenging him to combat, if God is willing.
  2. If I perish after this,
    • I will have had at least the satisfaction of delivering you,
    • and you will easily find among you an experienced hero,
    • to whom you can confidently give the task of directing you.
  3. But should I fall before I reach to Roderick,
    • redouble your ardor,
    • force yourselves to the attack
    • and achieve the conquest of this country,
    • in depriving him of life.
    • With him dead, his soldiers will no longer defy you."

The Muslim armies swept through Hispania and, in the summer of 711, won a decisive victory when the Visigothic king, Roderic, was defeated and killed on July 19 at the Battle of Guadalete. Afterwards, Tariq was made governor of Hispania but eventually was called back to Damascus by the Umayyad Caliph Al-Walid I, where he spent the rest of his life.

 Sources:

  1. Tariq ibn Ziyad. From Wikipedia
  2. Gibraltar. From Wikiped
  3. Rock of Gibraltar. From Wikipedia

The Rock of Gibraltar (sometimes by its Latin name, Calpe,[1] or its Arabic name, Jabal al Tariq ("Rock of Tariq"), from which its English name is derived; Peñón de Gibraltar in Spanish) is a monolithic limestone promontory located in Gibraltar, off the southwestern tip of Europe on the Iberian Peninsula.[2] It is 426 m (1,398 ft) high. The Rock is Crown property of the United Kingdom, and borders Spain. The sovereignty of Gibraltar was transferred from Spain to the Kingdom of Great Britain by the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 after the War of the Spanish Succession.[3] In 2002, the United Kingdom and Spain were working on "ending the centuries old [sovereignty] dispute over the rock."[4] Most of the Rock's upper area is covered by a nature reserve, which is home to around 250 Barbary Macaques. These macaques, as well as a labyrinthine network of tunnels, attract a large number of tourists each year.

The Rock of Gibraltar was one of the Pillars of Hercules and was known to the Romans as Mons Calpe, the other pillar being Mons Abyla or Jebel Musa on the African side of the Strait. In ancient times the two points marked the limit to the known world, a myth originally fostered by the Phoenicians.

Gibraltar (play /ɪˈbrɔːltər/) is a British overseas territory located on the southern end of the Iberian Peninsula at the entrance of the Mediterranean. It is a peninsula of 6.843 square kilometres (2.642 sq mi) whose isthmus connects to the north with Spain. The Rock of Gibraltar is the major landmark of the region. At its foot is the densely populated city area, home to almost 30,000 Gibraltarians and other nationalities.[3]

Evidence of Neanderthal habitation in Gibraltar between 128,000 and 24,000 BCE has been discovered at Gorham's Cave, making Gibraltar the last known holdout of the Neanderthals.[7] Within recorded history, the first inhabitants were the Phoenicians, around 950 BCE. Subsequently, Gibraltar became known as one of the Pillars of Hercules, after the Greek legend of the creation of the Strait of Gibraltar by Heracles.

An Anglo-Dutch force captured Gibraltar in 1704 during the War of the Spanish Succession. The territory was subsequently ceded to Britain by Spain under the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713. It became an important base for the British Royal Navy, which drove the local economy and provided employment for a large portion of the local population. Today its economy is based largely on tourism, financial services and shipping.[4][5]

The sovereignty of Gibraltar is a major point of contention in Anglo-Spanish relations as Spain asserts a claim to the territory and seeks its return.[5] Gibraltarians resoundingly rejected proposals for Spanish sovereignty in referenda held in 1967 and 2002. Under its 2006 constitution Gibraltar governs its own affairs, though some powers, such as defence and foreign relations, are reserved to the UK Government.

Seven centuries of Moorish control ended when Gibraltar was recaptured by the Duke of Medina Sidonia in 1462 as part of the Spanish Reconquista.

After the conquest, King Henry IV assumed the title of King of Gibraltar.

 

View Larger Map



Dah Memang Betul Jahiliyah, Nak Marah TGNA Buat Apa?

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 08:30 AM PST

Rais gesa Melayu, Islam tidak diperlekeh Nik Aziz

Menteri Penerangan Komunikasi dan Kebudayaan Datuk Seri Rais Yatim menegaskan pelakuan seperti Datuk Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat yang menyifatkan mereka yang tidak mengundi PAS sebagai orang jahiliah hanya dilakukan ketika zaman jahiliah.

Beliau berkata Mursyidul Am PAS itu tiada hak untuk menentukan siapa yang masuk syurga atau neraka, jauh sekali melabelkan mengundi yang memilih parti lain selain PAS sebagai orang jahiliah.

"Ini adalah kata-kata yang tidak wajar dikeluarkan oleh seorang Mursyidul Am dan saya percaya ramai di dalam PAS tidak setuju dengan pandangan beliau. Menteri Besar itu akhir-akhir ini sudah jadi pengeluar fatwa sendiri," katanya kepada pemberita selepas merasmikan Karnival Karangkraf 2011 di Shah Alam hari ini.

Nik Abdul Aziz yang juga Menteri Besar Kelantan dikatakan mengeluarkan perkataan jahiliah itu pada sidang media di Kampung Redong di Labis dua hari lalu, semasa berkempen dalam pilihan raya kecil Dewan Undangan Negeri (DUN) Tenang.

Sehubungan itu, Rais berkata sudah sampai masanya orang Melayu dan Islam khususnya menilai Mursyidul Am PAS itu dengan sebaiknya dan tidak lagi diperlekehkan oleh beliau.

"Sekarang, setiap yang bernama Melayu dan Islam harus kerjakan sesuatu yang lebih dalam iaitu memahami agama kita dan tolong cari dalam al-Quran atau Hadis bahawa seseorang yang tidak memilih partinya (PAS) dia langsung menjadi seorang yang jahil atau tidak".

Rais berharap pengundi di Tenang tidak terperdaya dan membiarkan diri mereka diperkotak-katikkan dengan kenyataan Nik Abdul Aziz itu. - Bernama

Ulasan GB

Manusia boleh dinilai sebagai ahli syurga atau neraka berdasarkan perlakuan dan sikap yang mereka tunjukkan semasa di atas dunia lagi.

Telah banyak disampaikan oleh Allah dan RasulNya melalui Al-Quran dan Hadith mengenainya, tetapi adakah para penimpin UMNO khususnya Rais Yatim sendiri ada membaca Al-Quran dan Hadith?

Apabila tiada membaca kedua-duanya memanglah tak ditemui ayat-ayat mengenai ahli-ahli syurga dan neraka, dan justerunya boleh langgar semua hukum-hukum Islam hatta sampai menzalimi dan berlaku kejam ke atas sesama umat.

Kerana enggan untuk membaca Al-Quran dan Hadithlah maka wujud sistem pemerintahan UMNO BN yang berlagak bijak dan berlagak pandai, menganggap mereka lebih bijak dan lebih pandai daripada Tuhan mereka. Memperlakukan sewenang-wenangnya ke atas rakyat tanpa memperdulikan neraca pahala-dosa. Itulah jahiliyah namanya. Maka Allah sendiri yang menzalimkan, memfasiqkan dan mengkafirkan mereka melalui ayat-ayatnya. ". . . . . . . Waman lam yahkum bima anzalallah, faulaika humul kafirun. . . . . . .Waman lam yahkum bima anzalallah, faulaika humuldh dhalimun. . . . . . . Waman lam yahkum bima anzalallah, faulaika humul fasiqun." (QS. Al Maidah, 5 : 44, 45, 47).

Jangan marah TGNA, marah Tuhan yang tuduh demikian.

Saya dengan rendah hati meminta, samada Rais Yatim sendiri, atau lebih baik PM dan TPM, supaya beratur dan bergilir-gilir membaca Al-Quran melalui siaran TV yang kamu, Rais, ada kuasa pada bila-bila masa terhadapnya. InsyaAllah kami akan menunggunya dan kami akan meminta Mursyidul Am PAS, TG Nik Aziz menarik semula tuduhannya apabila seorang demi seorang perdengarkan bacaannya.

Jika tidak, MEMANG kamu-kamu jahiliyah!


FF: Ferrari Revolution. 12 cylinders. 4 seats. 4 wheel drive. The Ferrari Four Revealed - www.ferrarifour.com

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 04:55 AM PST

PAS Bimbang Pemuda UMNO Buat Kacau Saat Akhir

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 04:50 AM PST

PAS bimbang Pemuda Umno akan buat kacau

'Ini maklumat yang kita dapat. Mereka mahu membuat perkara yang sama di Tenang.'

LABIS: PAS mendapat maklumat Pemuda Umno akan mencetuskan kekacauan mulai malam ini hingga tamat tempoh mengundi petang esok, dakwa Pengarah Pilihanraya PAS Pusat, Datuk Abdul Halim Abdul Rahman (gambar).

"Maklumat yang kita dapat samseng Pemuda Umno itu akan membuat kacau termasuk 'menyerang' pondok petugas PAS.

"Mereka mahu mengulangi budaya samseng yang mereka lakukan semasa pilihanraya kecil Dewan Undangan Negeri (DUN) Bagan Pinang, dua tahun lalu.

"Ini maklumat yang kita dapat. Mereka mahu membuat perkara yang sama di Tenang," katanya ketika ditemui di sini hari ini.

Pilihanraya kecil Tenang menyaksikan saingan satu lawan satu antara Mohd Azahar Ibrahim dari Barisan Nasional (BN) dan Normala Sudirman dari PAS.

Esok adalah hari mengundi.

Sementara itu, Timbalan Pesuruhjaya PAS Johor, Zulkifli Ahmad dalam sidang media harian di sini berkata, beliau bersama beberapa pimpinan PAS akan mengadakan pertemuan dengan Ketua Polis Negeri, Datuk Mohd Mokhtar Shariff petang ini.

Katanya, pertemuan itu bertujuan untuk memastikan keselamatan pengundi esok dan menghindari kejadian yang tidak diingi.

Beliau juga mendakwa, petugas PAS tidak dibenarkan di dua tempat iaitu Ladang Labis Utama dan Ladang Bukit Datuk untuk berkempen.

Alasan yang diberikan oleh petugas kedua-dua ladang tersebut ialah la adalah arahan pengurusan ladang berkenaan.

Zulkifli berkata, apabila beliau menyuarakan perkara itu kepada Suruhanjaya Pilihanraya (SPR) Johor, alasan yang diberikan ialah ladang berkenaan milik swasta.

Beliau berkata, Ladang Labis Utama adalah milik Sime Darby, manakala pemilik Ladang Bagan Datuk tidak dapat dikesan.

Ladang Labis Utama mempunyai kira-kira 30 pengundi, manakala Ladang Bagan Datuk seramai 300 pengundi. -FMT


5 Nelayan Bertarung Nyawa Dalam Insiden Bot Terbalik Di Tok Bali

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 04:15 AM PST

Insiden Bot Terbalik Di Muara Tok Bali: Lima Nelayan Selamat

PASIR PUTEH: Berpantang maut sebelum ajal, lima nelayan terpaksa berhempas pulas untuk menyelamatkan diri apabila bot laut dalam mereka terbalik dipukul ombak besar ketika cuba memasuki muka muara Kuala Tok Bali di sini, pagi kelmarin.

Kelima-lima mereka terpaksa berpaut pada perut bot yang beberapa kali terbalik dipukul ombak setinggi lima meter ketika botnya cuba memasuki kuala muara terusan Semerak itu pukul 8.30 pagi.

"Ketika bot hanyut dibawa ombak menghampiri pantai saya memberanikan diri terjun berenang ke pantai," kata salah seorang nelayan So Hon Yu, 51, ketika ditemui di Hospital Tengku Anis di sini, kelmarin.

Kesemua mereka yang terdiri daripada warga Thailand yang bekerja dengan pengusaha bot laut dalam tempatan terselamat dan dikejar ke hospital berkenaan untuk mendapat rawatan luar dan dibenar keluar pagi ini.

Empat lagi rakan mereka yang berasal dari wilayah Songkla, Selatan Thailand itu ialah Wee Chiau Co Eyat, 53, Pee Chai Yau Hong, 32, Man Chai, 33, dan Naita Kou Ching Thang, 17.

Seorang lagi rakannya Man Chai pula berkata bot mereka tidak dapat dikawal sebaik sahaja dipukul ombak besar beberapa kali sebelum terbalik dan ini merupakan kali pertama kejadian itu berlaku sepanjang lima tahun beliau bekerja sebagai nelayan asing di Tok Bali.

Sementara itu, Pegawai Operasi Agensi Penguatkuasa Maritim Malaysia D10 Tok Bali, Left. Komander Romli Mustafa berkata kejadian itu disedari pihaknya yang secara kebetulan berada kira-kira 300 meter dari tempat kejadian.

Katanya sebaik sahaja melihat bot berkenaan terumbang ambing dan terus terbalik pihaknya pantas mengarahkan anggotanya melancarkan gerakan menyelamat beserta dengan sebuah kapal dan dua buah bot kilat.

Bagaimanapun pihaknya tidak dapat menghampiri bot berkenaan kerana keadaan laut bergelora selain ombak besar dan keadaan angin yang bertiup kencang sehingga melebihi kelajuan 30 knot sejam iaitu merbahaya kepada semua kapal dan bot.

Beliau berkata pihaknya hanya dapat memantau berpuluh-puluh meter dari tempat kejadian sehingga pukul 9 pagi apabila mereka berjaya menyelamatkan diri selepas bot itu menghampiri pantai.

Romli menasihatkan nelayan tidak turun ke laut pada masa ini kerana keadaannya amat merbahaya kepada kesemua aktiviti perkapalan kerana beliau mendapati masih ada nelayan yang tidak menghiraukan ancaman itu.

Katanya di samping itu masih terdapat nelayan yang tidak memakai pakaian jaket keselamatan seperti nelayan terbabit. - BERNAMA


Setengah jam bertarung nyawa


PASIR PUTEH - Lima nelayan terpaksa berhempas pulas selama setengah jam bagi menyelamatkan diri selepas bot laut dalam yang mereka naiki terbalik dipukul ombak besar ketika cuba memasuki muka muara Kuala Tok Bali di sini kelmarin.

Semasa kejadian pada pukul 8.30 pagi, kelima-lima mangsa terpaksa berpaut pada perut bot yang beberapa kali terbalik dipukul ombak setinggi lima meter ketika bot itu cuba memasuki kuala muara terusan Semerak.

"Ketika bot hanyut dibawa ombak menghampiri pantai, saya memberanikan diri terjun berenang ke pantai," kata salah seorang nelayan So Hon Yu, 51, ketika ditemui di Hospital Tengku Anis (HTA) di sini semalam.- kosmo


Nuraishah Didakwa Bunuh Bayinya Yang Baru Lahir

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 03:45 AM PST

Wanita Myanmar didakwa bunuh bayi baru lahir

SHAH ALAM: Seorang wanita warga Myanmar dihadapkan ke Mahkamah Majistret di sini hari ini terhadap tuduhan membunuh bayinya yang baru dilahirkan di rumahnya di Kampung Jawa di sini pada Selasa lalu.

Nuraishah Abdullah, 23, yang mempunyai kad Suruhanjaya Tinggi Pertubuhan
Bangsa-Bangsa Bersatu Bagi Orang Pelarian (UNHCR), didakwa melakukan kesalahan itu di No 4, Lot 9902, Batu 4, Kampung Jawa di sini, kira-kira jam 9 pagi pada 25 Januari lalu.

Wanita itu yang tidak diwakili peguam didakwa mengikut Seksyen 302 Kanun Keseksaan yang memperuntukkan hukuman mati mandatori, jika sabit kesalahan.

Nuraishah, yang kelihatan lemah sehingga terpaksa duduk di dalam kandang tertuduh, mengangguk faham selepas pertuduhan dibacakan terhadapnya oleh jurubahasa mahkamah.

Bagaimanapun tiada pengakuan direkodkan daripadanya.

Timbalan Pendakwa Raya, Zara Aina Mohd Zawawi, yang mengendalikan pendakwaan, membuat permohonan mengikut Seksyen 342 Kanun Prosedur Jenayah supaya tertuduh
dihantar ke Hospital Bahagia untuk menjalani pemeriksaan mental.

Majistret Zilfinaz Abbas membenarkan permohonannya dan mengarahkan Nuraishah dihantar ke Hospital Bahagia bagi menjalani pemeriksaan mental selama sebulan.

Mahkamah menetapkan 28 Februari untuk sebutan semula kes.

Media sebelum ini melaporkan mengenai penemuan mayat seorang bayi perempuan yang dipercayai ditikam beberapa kali di atas pelapik plastik di dalam bilik air rumah berkenaan.

Tertuduh ditemui dalam keadaan lemah dalam rumah itu dan polis turut menemui sejenis objek tajam, yang dipercayai digunakan dalam kejadian itu. - BERNAMA


Two years old family photos

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 03:19 AM PST

Bapa Maut Anak Selamat Kenderaan Jatuh Dalam Anak Sungai

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 03:15 AM PST

Mati Lemas Akibat Kereta Terjatuh Ke Dalam Anak Sungai Di Sandakan

SANDAKAN: Seorang lelaki dilaporkan mati lemas selepas kereta yang dinaikinya terjatuh ke dalam anak sungai di sebuah ladang sawit di Batu 14, Jalan Taman Jalil Alip di sini, Jumaat.

Adami Madi, 55, mati lemas dipercayai terperangkap di dalam kereta pacuan empat roda itu.

Anaknya yang berusia 20-an dan pemandu kenderaan berkenaan terselamat dalam kemalangan 11.30 pagi itu.

Menurut Pegawai Operasi Balai Bomba dan Penyelamat Sandakan, Mohd Apandi Mahmood, ketiga-tiga mereka sedang dalam perjalanan keluar dari sebuah ladang selepas mengambil buah kelapa sawit.

"Pemandu kereta itu dilaporkan tidak dapat melihat anak sungai di tepi jalan yang telah dinaiki air banjir, menyebabkan kereta itu terjatuh ke dalam anak sungai.

"Anak mangsa dan pemandu kereta berjaya keluar menerusi tingkap kereta," katanya.

Mohd Apandi berkata bomba mengambil masa kira-kira sejam untuk mengeluarkan mayat Adami. - BERNAMA


No comments: